Author Topic: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881  (Read 18131 times)

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
Re: Fate Core: Untitled
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »
I suggest Luke's area of study because
1) i enjoy making him work
B) in my experience the more the GM knows the setting the more real the description feels and that enhances the game for me

Heres another idea
4) "For the dream of freedom" - the characters are all playing sentient starships (and attendant humanoid interface unit) that have decided they have seen enough combat. Will they be drone equivalents of Spartacus or can they forge their own destiny?
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

danb

• Dan B., Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
Like Mike, I'm primarily hoping to get a feel for Fate so the setting isn't a huge deal. That said, fighting Nazis in space sounds like fun, and a lot less hopeless than anything Cthulu-related.
"The guy with the beard"

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Saturday!  I'm going to bring the FATE Core rules on my iPad.  For kicks, I'll also bring Strands of Fate and Strands of Power as idea sources (if needed).  Is there anything else that might be helpful?  Index cards?  (I've got lots of scrap cardstock here at work.)  Character sheets?  Just lemme know.

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • A Grownup who Likes to Pretend
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 04:11:23 AM »
Fun generation session! Lets get this thing rolling and finished up. I am also trying to think up a name for it. I initially thought of "Esoterica." Or since I was thinking of running the game in 1881, I thought "Esoterica 1881" but I can't tell if it sounds too goofy.
GASP Games:
Burning Wheel - First Slot
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde - Second Slot

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
Menry Brewbeckolf
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
High Concept - Great White Hunter
Trouble Aspect - Anger Management Issues

Skills
Shooting +4
Resources +3, Notice +3
Stealth +2, Physique +2, Will +2
Drive +1, Crafts +1, Intimidation +1, Investigation +1

Story 1 - West Africa, hunting the Mokele-Mbembe
Menry was hunting in West Africa when he encountered several tribes speaking of an amazing river beast, the Mokele-Mbembe. Weeks of trekking through the jungles paid off, as the great beast rose up before him. However the native guide threw off his aim so he wouldnt kill the heathen "holy creature". So as the beast fled Menry shot the man.
Aspect - Bloodyminded Determination

Story 2 - Merry ole England, hunting a white stag (the White Hart)
Following leads on a strange white stag, Menry headed to a village near London. While reconnoitring the location he encountered an ambush, unacceptable and unsporting! Waking up in a cell with the drunk it was time to be leaving. Surprisingly, the drunkard was much more useful than his dishevelled appearance belied, and they escaped. Sadly the the body of the stag was found at the scene of "ritual" the drunkard went on about.
Aspect - Sporting chance or not at all

Story 3 - French Indochina, in pursuit of the Tarrasque of the bay
Menry, stalking the docks of Hanlon Bay as he hunted "the Tarrasque of the bay. looked up to hear a fellow Britishman in trouble, running from those damn French. The hunt would have to wait, as a countryman cannot be abandoned, so he quickly lead them to his yacht and they sailed off.
Aspect - For King and Countryman!

Stunts
"Stand and fight or I'll kill you myself" - use shooting (and his bellicose nature and long war experience) instead of provoke to browbeat, shame and otherwise force others to do his wishes in grant Drill Sergeant fashion.
"left eye or right eye?" this is just a renamed version of the Uncanny Accuracy stunt from the core book.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:22:07 PM by Evernevermore »
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Extracurricular Reading
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »
How Collecting Opium Antiques Turned Me Into an Opium Addict
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/journey-into-the-opium-underworld/

Theoretical Racism in Late-Victorian Anthropology, 1870-1900
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3828098

I happened across the latter article while browsing around today.  It's a great piece about the dreadful racism so common in early anthropological work.

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • A Grownup who Likes to Pretend
Re: Extracurricular Reading
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
How Collecting Opium Antiques Turned Me Into an Opium Addict
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/journey-into-the-opium-underworld/

Theoretical Racism in Late-Victorian Anthropology, 1870-1900
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3828098

I happened across the latter article while browsing around today.  It's a great piece about the dreadful racism so common in early anthropological work.

Ah, JSTOR.
GASP Games:
Burning Wheel - First Slot
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde - Second Slot

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
András Corwallis
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
Name: András Cornwallis
Back Story: Born Andrew William Cornwallis III, the child of Andrew William Cornwallis II & Bethany Anne Cornwallis (née Smith), two well-to-do English socialites. A precocious youngster, the boy easily took to entertaining guests to the Cornwallis home with simple parlor tricks. After schooling, he quickly grew tired of the lifestyle granted him by his birth. His childhood interest in stage magic led him to a study of Renaissance topics of Hermeticism, Christian Kabbalah, divinatory, esoteric and occult tarot, and the Three Books of Occult Philosophy. Around the same time, he began experimenting with opiates, in an effort to "clear his mind and open his soul to these ancient teachings". At this time, he took to referring to himself as András Cornwallis, the Hungarian form of his name, simply because it sounded "more interesting". His studies put him in contact with the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. He was accepted into the order, as the Third Order members felt that having a high profile member of society hanging around would give some credence to the organization. He was quickly identified as One With True Vision and introduced into the First Order. Upon communing with the Secret Chiefs, András began to understand the sinister proposition that the Order is truly based. He is seen as a cornerstone in an Earth-shattering event! Unable to bear this information, he flees the Order and goes into hiding, hoping to hone his skills and eventually remove the power held by the Golden Dawn. Unfortunately, his addiction often gets in the way and he has spent the past few years bouncing around south east and east Asia.
High Concept: Chosen one gone rogue.
Trouble: Opium addict (and loving it).
Skills:
Lore (Great +4)
Will, Magic (Good +3)
Empathy, Resources, Rapport (Fair +2)
Deceit, Contacts, Investigation, Shooting (Average +1)
Refresh: 3
Stunts:
Arcane Expert - Grants a +2 bonus to create and advantage using Lore whenever the situation has specifically to with the supernatural or the occult.
Steel Trap - Grants a +2 bonus using Will to to defend against Magic attacks specifically related to Mind Control.

Part One - Tropical Complications
While hiding out in French Indochina, trying to lay low and enjoy the culture (drugs), András is taken in by a few members of the L'Ordre de Saint-Germain. Initially he believed the French occultists to be friends, but quickly learned they were aware of his status with the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and had more nefarious intents. Being held against his will, András makes his escape with assistance from a group of Buddhist Monks with fantastic abilities and a Dhampir warrior named Cassandra. The monks provide sanctuary and training until L'Ordre eventually tracks him down again.
Aspect: One With True Vision

Part Two - African Adventures
András has been studying under a Mokele-Mbembe shaman for a few months time when a familiar face appears in the jungle. It is Menry, the very man who whisked András from the docks in Indochina once the French discovered his whereabouts. Those many months ago, Menry dropped him in Hong Kong and went on his way. What are the chances András would see his face again in darkest Africa? András agrees to act as translator and accompanies Menry and a tribal guide into the jungle in search of a great beast. After the shot that killed the guide is fired, András realizes that Menry has an affinity for finding these vile creatures. He assists Menry's escape from the angry tribe, using the cloaking techniques he picked up from the monks in Indochina.
Aspect: Jack of all Spells, Master of None

Part Three - Birds of a feather flock to Papua New Guinea
After much hounding, András agrees to an exclusive interview with Hem Vance. Realizing that there's more to this writer than the pulp drivel he's known for, András travels with him to meet Olivia. She tells András of the plight of the Vanuata Tribe. András tells them of the Amulet of Marawa, currently held in the Boston Museum. After the the writer and the anthropologist "procure" the magical amulet, the three travel to Papua New Guinea. Andras uses the amulet to remove  the curse of "The Undying Death" from the tribe. In exchange, their shaman agrees to share a few of his secrets.
Aspect: Wears the Amulet of Marawa
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:26:21 AM by ThrashLibrarian »

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
I'll list it as "Esoterica 1881" and if you want the name changed just let me know. 

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Re: Extracurricular Reading
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »
Ah, JSTOR.

Yeah, they recently opened up their services to the unwashed masses.  We unaffiliated can now read up to three articles online at a time, but we cannot save or print said articles.  If a privileged someone would happen to send me a PDF of this paper, I wouldn't complain.  Man I miss having access to university databases... sigh.

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Re: András Corwallis
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Also, is it okay to tweak somethings with the timelines? ...For right now, I've gone the route of adding those tweaks to the story, because they make the whole thing flow a little better, but if that's wrong, I can change it to what I wrote on my sheet.

For what it's worth, I figured that we'd all have to do a little post-production editing to make things work.  From my perspective, I know that in one of my contribution's to Menry's story, the hart is still alive.  In another, it is not.  Since it's John's story, I figure it's up to him to take what works for him and finalize it.  I suspect I'll do the same today when I work on Miss Olivia.

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Not that I've posted anything myself yet (I'm working on it...), but I was going to suggest that it might be helpful to post your high concept & trouble as well as your skills and stunt(s) too. 

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Done. At least as much as I could do from memory. Also added in a back story.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:51:56 PM by ThrashLibrarian »

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »
Just a heads-up if you hadn't heard.  They've issued a change log for Fate Core and posted it as a Google Document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_vejM0c75qjWqLB5nyo09daxyQQ0SO5k7graoBrZ7ec/edit

Luke, obviously it's up to you if you want to incorporate them.  Changes that will affect character building are:

Default Number of Free Stunts Increased
The default number of free stunts a character starts with has raised up from 1 to 3.

You don’t have to use all of the free stunts offered, so you shouldn’t feel pressured to add more, but if your characters have more than 1 stunt and you reduced their refresh accordingly, it’s time to give them a refund.

Intimidation Skill Replaced by Provoke Skill
The Intimidation skill was judged to be too narrow in scope. We’ve replaced it with Provoke, a skill devoted to provoking immediate, visceral, primarily negative emotional responses -- fear is one, but so is anger, and others as well.

Some Skills Get Minor Name Changes
We’re moving some, but not all, of the skills to “active verb” constructions:

Deceit > Deceive
Fighting > Fight
Intimidation > Provoke (see above)
Investigation > Investigate
Shooting > Shoot

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Re: András Corwallis
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Aspect: I could use some help wording this part. I'm thinking something like "Celebrity of the Occult". Basically, people in these circles know who I am, for better or for worse.

How about the excellent title from your background:  One With True Vision