Author Topic: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881  (Read 17717 times)

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • A Grownup who Likes to Pretend
Fate Core: Esoterica 1881
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
I am going to run a sort of learn to play type introduction to Fate game with Fate Core in the third slot. We will work up a setting and background and everything there. I am trying for 4-5 players. Right now those players are:

John
Damon
Gina
Mike
Dan

So I am currently set.

If people want to post here to start brainstorming setting and style, that's cool with me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:07:36 AM by Shingen »
GASP Games:
Burning Wheel - First Slot
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde - Second Slot

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
Re: Fate Core: Untitled
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
What sort of options?

I know i can be obnoxious and overbearing so ill wait for some posts before i toss out mine
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:43:18 PM by Evernevermore »
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:43:28 PM »
What sort of options?

I know i can be obnoxious and overbearing so ill wait for some posts before i toss out mine

The main thing I want to do is an analogue of the Burning Wheel's World Burning - lets figure out what setting and campaign we want, and then we can go from there. So if people have preferences, that's cool.
GASP Games:

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »
Preferences:  Weird is good.  Superheroes and outerspace settings are much less good. 

Edited to add...  I haven't looked at any of the new FATE Core settings yet.  Are any appealing?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:50:19 PM by Gina »

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
Several of the setting for Core are really cool. The Fate Core KS home page has a list of their basic pitches, so we can run from those if people are interested.
GASP Games:

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
Weird in what way Gina? Weird like Weird War 2 with nazi zombies?  Weird like Clark Ashton Smith stories or Kull of Atlantis vs witches from drowned Mu? Or weird like Twin Peaks?

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

jason

• Protector
  • Storyjammer
    • The Fifth World
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »
If people want to post here to start brainstorming setting and style, that's cool with me.

Just to warn you, those words have killed more than one Fate campaign for me in the past.
Jason Godesky
thefifthworld.com

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »

Just to warn you, those words have killed more than one Fate campaign for me in the past.

Ok.

I've never had a problem in the many fate games I've run, so I guess we've had different experiences.
GASP Games:

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
Weird in what way Gina? Weird like Weird War 2 with nazi zombies?  Weird like Clark Ashton Smith stories or Kull of Atlantis vs witches from drowned Mu? Or weird like Twin Peaks?

Yep - any and all of the above.  Any weird is good.  That said, I'm happy with just about anything; I know we'll have fun no matter what the setting. 

Luke, since you're the GM, you should get first dibs!  What sounds good to you right now?

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
I'm pretty open, because I'm mostly interested in playing more FATE to better grok the system.

Our day is pretty Fantasy heavy, Luke, between the high fantasy of Pathfinder and the low fantasy of Burning Wheel...maybe some middle fantasy, to round it out? Ha...Though it may be interesting to see how the three systems compare, it's does seem like overload.

I'm just tossing out this idea?
Anyway, I also like "weird" as in weird horror/fantasy...Monster hunters seems like a reasonable profession for fate characters, right? Maybe something similar to Spirit of the Century meets Rippers? Private "social" club with another agenda? Pulp or gaslamp era might be fun? Or maybe a reboot of your Ravenloft game from the con? Or modern?

Or ignore all those suggestions...hah.

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
So Van Helsing or something similar?  How about pre colonial cthulhu?

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
You could do modern day WOD Mortals or Hunter via Fate.  :)

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
Ok enough people have chimed in I feel like I can comment on some of my ideas

1) "Ever since the peace after the failed Martian invasion of Earth mankind has been slowly expanding the footholds on Mars that the treaties allowed. With the rise of the Nazi party in Germany in the aftermath of the Great (Interplanetary) War various freedomloving groups have been very worried with the rumors coming from Neu Schwabea on Mars. Perhaps its time for some specially talented individuals to look into it?" Nazi bashing pulp in John Carter of Mars territory

2) Colonial Cthulhu - its weird and it draws on Luke's historical knowledge so if he cant set the scene we really need to question his degree. Here is the link for FNH's Sanity bolt on for Fate => http://blackdogofdoom.blogspot.com/2011/04/fate-of-cthulhu.html

3) I know Luke's not a fan but Dresden would be awesome, much better than WoD in my opinion
Im up for generic fantasy too
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:16:06 PM by Evernevermore »

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
2) Colonial Cthulhu - its weird and it draws on Luke's historical knowledge so if he cant set the scene we really need to question his degree. Here is the link for FNH's Sanity bolt on for Fate => http://blackdogofdoom.blogspot.com/2011/04/fate-of-cthulhu.html

I was also thinking that it would be great to draw on Luke's scholarly pursuits, and I would be very keen on the idea.  Arrrr, pirates!  Uh, I mean privateers. ;D  That said, I understand how mixing 'business and pleasure' can be a drag.  Archaeology was a lot less fun when I was an actual archaeologist.

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
Well, I was thinking Van Helsing, with the Century Club (or Rippers Club or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or...) backing him up...

Nazi bashing on Mars sounds good, too...

I'm completely satisfied with the way the way CoC handles Mythos stuff (for better and worse)...that said, it's not like I'd walk away from the game or anything.