Author Topic: New Abilities for SoBH - its a playtest oppurtinity  (Read 2974 times)

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
New Abilities for SoBH - its a playtest oppurtinity
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Andrea Sfiligoi is doing playtest on some new abilities for Song of Blades and Heroes. I got permission to post a list of abilities for us to test out. So have at it and let me know if things are undercosted, over costed or just not right.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RJmrG26qsQ3PfQzDtqqJgiuGfslUUQrs8twa2tjXiig/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKTSiIcN
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
Re: New Abilities for SoBH - its a playtest oppurtinity
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:39 AM »
The only one I question right now is Heavy Weapon. Seems like it's basically all the really good benefits of Huge Weapon without any of the negatives and it's 2 points(+/-) cheaper.

I'm game to try them. Maybe next games day?
"They don't like it when you shoot at them. I figured that out myself" - Sgt Mal Reynolds

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk" - Tuco

I'm in the blog-o-sphere! Check me out at dropshipinbound.blogspot.com

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
Re read the combat score stuff for huge weapons - the difference is subtle

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
Yes, a huge weapon inflicts a -1 on the user during a normal attack, but a -2 to the opponent on a power attack with no negatives to the user. What I am referring to is this. Both weapons, if you roll an unmodified 6 on your power attack, kill the opponent, regardless of what he rolls. In both cases, you get the same result. In the case of the huge weapon, you're getting a better chance to kill on a power attack if you don't roll a six. In the case of heavy weapon, though, you have the same special rule but you don't have a negative to contend with.

I guess what I'm questioning is if the -2 the opponent gets is more useful than "if you roll a 6 on a power attack, you kill". I mean, does the -1 for huge weapon also apply for when you get attacked? Hence, is it making your opponent have an easier time killing you? It says you only get the -1 when you attack so I guess you don't.

I'm just wondering if the points make sense to take the rule.
"They don't like it when you shoot at them. I figured that out myself" - Sgt Mal Reynolds

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk" - Tuco

I'm in the blog-o-sphere! Check me out at dropshipinbound.blogspot.com

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
The points may not be right - that's why its a play test.
As I see it the advantage to huge is my chaos warrior with combat 3 and a "huge" two handed axe rolls a 3 with his power attack, and the generic human warrior with combat 2 rolls 3 as well. The result is still a kill as its my 6 to the generics 3, doubled score so I kill him. That minus two is pretty sweet