Author Topic: D&D PBP IC #2  (Read 71505 times)

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
D&D PBP IC #2
« on: February 01, 2008, 09:42:24 PM »
This is the new In Character thread for the D&D game.  Post here and not in the old thread.  I locked the old thread.

Rory

Any details of their armor, weapons, or heraldry that would better identify them.  (Bardic Knowledge would be useful here, I guess.)

They have dull iron chain mail and some of them are rusty.  Many have 2 handed warhammers, 2 handed axes, 1 handed warhammers, battle axes, and several have longswords or greatswords.

Many have a modified black X on their chests with each end of the letter with having a small crossmark.     

Bardic Knowledge Roll 13 + 9 = 22

Rory thinks that this X symbol is a war symbol.  Also at closer inspection their faces are painted with black and white paint to make it look like they have skulls for faces.

It seems that there are 4 Dwarves with two X symbols overlapping each other, and they seem to be in charge.

Cin

Do the dwarves seem to be bothered by the sunlight?

It does seem that some of the Dwarves are shielding their eyes from the hot sunlight.  And they definitely seem disoriented, like they are somewhere they didn't intend to be.

Zarzim

Building P does not look like much at all.  It is a ruined building with a roof that seems full of holes, and there isn't anything of value on the insides.  On Zarzim's return he sees the group talking about the Dwarves.

Lohut

Lohut thinks this was most likely a war party, that was teleported here to fight, but he notices that there doesn't seem to be a mage looking figure among them, which strikes him as odd, as many Dwarven war parties have Magic and Steel as they would put it, spell casters and fighters.  He thinks they are more than likely underground most of the time.  He does see them arguing and things that getting in the middle of an angry war party, that is disgruntled about something (maybe loosing their way) might not be a great thing, but then again, maybe they would appreciate some information from a fellow Dwarf, he isn't sure.  Lohut recognizes some angry hand gestures of the "Flarg You" variety.  :)

The dark skinned Dwarves seem like they haven't noticed the party yet, and are in a heated argument with many pointing to where the portal was and looking down right miserable and angry.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:45:17 PM by Baron Von Harper »

Sam T

Re: D&D PBP IC #2
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:11:54 AM »
Zarzim will drop about 30 feet behind the parties current position taking cover in an ally,,,   Zarzim will notch an arrow....   and wait to see what occurs

danichols

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »
"Well, Lohut," says Rory, "I think that we should approach this dwarven war party - very slowly, with empty hands - and that you should greet them and find out if any of them speak Common.  If they do, I can introduce myself, tell them where the are, and ask them where they came from.  If not, you can do those honors.  In either case, I'll accompany you.  Cin, you and Dante should stay out of sight here [Building U] for the moment, and wait for Zarzim to return - ah, here he comes - and then for us to call you."

Sam T

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Zarzim will sneak over ,, give the info on the building ,,,  knowing you are going to talk to the talk to the dwarves...  Zarzim will wish the talkers well then Zarzim will drop about 30 feet behind the current postion ....  take cover in an alley and notch an arrow....

Sir Azarith Stryffe

• Knight of Protecting Innocents
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • Lord Marshall and First Paladin of Kismet
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
Dante leans up against a wall, his arms crossed infront of him, and his head lowered "Alright, can we get this done though? Standing around isn't good for anyone"
The knight in shining armor, the protector of the weak. I am the shining light in the darkness. The beacon for all those in despair. My name is Azarith, call my name, she will send me.

ross451

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
"Rory, 30 dwarves is a lot to contend with, even if they were not a war party.  I don't think we should go with our hands empty.  The two of us will be no more threatening to a party of that size even if we have weapons."

"One quick question, if things go bad, where do we retreat to.  I mean which building do we want to make a stand in.  If we stay out in the open we will get surrounded and cut to shreads."

After getting Rory's answer, Lohut will approach the dwarves with Rory.  He will have his new war hammer in hand, but not necessary in an agressive manner.

Sam T

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
fall back is the weapons room !!!

go forward and talk....

Cin

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 07:09:17 AM »
Cin will draw his bow and still try to get into a position that will hid him but still allow him to overhear any coversations going on. If the crap hit the fan Cin has no intentions of being trapped in a box with no exits and will adopt a run and shoot tactic.

"Someone might want to notify the General, if things go bad it would not hurt to have more swords on our side"

ross451

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:59:14 AM »
"OK, Let's Roll"

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
The rest of the party gets into whatever position they feel most comfortable in.  Cin makes sure to get closer to that he can hear what the Dwarves are saying.  Cin is shocked to see that one of the Dwarves looks very familiar...  He is wearing different armor and has different weapons, but has the same face paint as the other Dwarves.  Perhaps he is a new recruit?  He is almost sure that this was the last Dwarf he was meant to find.

Brave Rory, and Lohut approach the Dwarf War Party standing on the central court stones.  At first it seems they are so involved with their argument that they don't see or notice you two coming.

Dwarves:

Soldier
"They were right with us, how are they not here with us now?"

Soldier
"Did they get lost between there and here?  Did they trap us here on purpose?"

Higher Ranking Soldier
"My father will be outraged when he finds out that his son will not be able to return.  We must find a way back."

Solider
"It took four of them to open the portal and now we have zero casters on this side of the portal.  I fear we are forever trapped here, unless we can find someone who knows the way to awaken the Royal Roads."

Soldier
"What's worse is that our important mission will fail.  My hope is that the casters for some reason were returned to our home so they at least know that our mission failed.  I fear for the war, and it's outcome, with the enemy still possessing what we would take from him."

Higher Ranking Soldier
"Stop whining like children still sucking the teet.  What has happened has happened, crying like little women isn't going to fix anything.  We must get our bearings and seek out information, and find where we are...

...HALT!  WHO GOES THERE!?"

It seems the higher ranking soldier has noticed Rory and Lohut walking towards them, even in the daylight sun.  The rest of the soldiers stop their bickering and turn to face the new possible threat.

danichols

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »
Rory halts.  After thinking for a second about what is likeliest to appeal to dwarves, Rory raises one hand to eye level and says, in Common, "Noble warriors, we come in peace.  I am Rory Tithonus.  My companion is Lohut.  It appears you have come here in the same manner as we did, by the Royal Roads.  Perhaps we can trade information about the portals, and about this city, for our mutual benefit."

Then Rory turns his head slightly toward Lohut and says "If they don't understand that, would you mind translating my little speech into Dwarven for them?"

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
The Dwarves were talking in Dwarven, but to those that know Dwarven it seemed like they had a very strange accent, but it was still understandable.

Two of the higher ranking soldiers step forward but are still a ways off from where Rory and Lohut are standing.

One of them speaks in common in return to Rory, though it is strained speech and you think he learned it early in life and doesn't use it much. 

(I cleaned it up, so it isn't annoying to read).

"Our mages were the only ones that new how to operate the portals.  It was a tradition passed down from master to student for centuries while the power of the Royal Roads was dim.  Recently the mages told us that the power of the portals was activated and they could tell they were being used once more.  At a desparate time we tried to use them, and we are left stranded here, while our true destination is pulled from our reach..."

"Do you know how to operate them, and send us back to our homelands?  We have enemies to kill, and something important to do, that if we fail, might signal the end of our kingdom."

"I see you are a Dwarf Friend, so I deem I can trust your speech."

The soldier bows his head towards Lohut.

ross451

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »
Lohut nods towards the dwarves.

"Unlike you, we did not did not desire to travel these Royal Roads, but we teleported here by chance.  We have been searching these ruins for some means to reactivate them and return to our homelands.  This area is desolate and what inhabitants are here did not come by their own choice.  The natives to this land live elsewhere and do not appreciate our presence.  That story is a long one."

"I am Lohut Godhammer, warpriest of Fornast the builder.  Who do I have the privilege of addressing?"

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
Dwarves

Speaking in Dwarven:

"I am Prince Ulfgar.  It is strange that we would end up where we didn't plan to be.  It is stranger still for you to have traveled the Royal Roads without even intending to.  I don't know how to activate them, as the mages do not share their knowledge with others."

"Our clan pays honor to Fornast, but we worship more the Gods MwerKef and SrikNur - the Gods of Death and Strength."

ross451

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
"It seems the Royal Roads are acting of their own accord.  Or someone is purposely directing people to this ruined city, but for what reason I could not begin to know.  A small group of humans was also teleported here without their consent or knowledge."

"As for me and my companions, we have been searching the ruins, both above and below, for some way to reactivate the Roads and return home.  So far we have not learned much.  There are other living beings that call this place home.  Great griffons that fly overhead and keep watch over the city and evil twisted elves that lurk below the city.  Other races live away from here in more hospitable lands, good elves and gnomes.  They paid us a visit once, to inquire about our presence.  They do not like the fact that people are showing up unexpectedly.  There is a long story about how this place was devastated by its previous inhabitants, but I will leave that for another time."

"If I may ask, I overheard that you were using the Royal Roads on purpose.  Your people have knowledge of them?  Where are you from and where did you intend to go?"