3 (20%)
Legends of the Old West
3 (20%)
Test of Honour
2 (13.3%)
Other
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Miniature games with campaign systems  (Read 3899 times)

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
Miniature games with campaign systems
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
So Jim and I were talking the other day about games we own with campaign systems, like what Frostgrave does, and how best to get some play time in.  We were thinking a rotating schedule would work best, where you focus on one campaign system for a set amount of time (say 6 months), then move onto another system.  This would allow everyone interested in those games plenty of time to get familiar with the rules and build-up a force for it.

Here are the games we own (or would like to own) that have dedicated campaign systems
 • Frostgrave
 • X-Wing: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster
 • Legends of the Old West
 • Test of Honour

The main criteria is the system basis is you start with a hero (or heroes) and some lackeys, and the hero(es) gain in abilities after each game.  That's why we left the BA campaign off the list.

As everyone should be aware we are playing some Frostgrave now.  It's an easy system to start with as the figure requirement is light and easy to obtain.  Next we were thinking to jump into the X-Wing campaign, as all the material is readily available and you only need one ship for your pilot to start.

So, as a rough first pass at a schedule, we were thinking we'd focus on Frostgrave through June, then start into X-Wing in July.  Maybe run that through until the end of 2017.  Then we could either start into LotOW or ToH.  Since these would require more work to get ready (collecting and painting miniatures and terrain) we thought holding off starting those would help the people that want to play.

I wanted to see a few things
1. Who is interested in playing what
2. What the schedule should be
3. How long each 'Season' should last (we were thinking 6 months)
4. Are there any games with campaigns you know of and are interested in adding to the list

#1 you can vote in the poll and can vote for multiple games.  The rest of the questions you can reply here with your preference.

For LotOW, I have all the rulebooks in PDF I can share, we would just need to build some terrain and everyone would need to build a starting posse.  Legends is basically the Lord of the Rings mechanics, with the Mordheim campaign system tailored for the genre.  For ToH, I don't have the rules yet, but am interested in picking this up.  I currently play Ronin but it doesn't have a campaign system for it.  The campaign system for Test of Honour seems very straight forward, and you don't need a large model count.

So, let us know what you think and we can start planning this out.  This would give us a good mix of games to focus on at Games Day, while not getting burned out on any one system.  Of course there will always be the standard games being played as well, so if you aren't interested in a specific game here, you can still play BA or Team Yankee or whatever at Games Day like usual.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------------
GASP King and All-Around Cool Guy

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
Re: Miniature games with campaign systems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
Update:  Jim just picked-up a copy of Test of Honour :)

Chuck Sherrange

• Regular
  • Citizen
  • Knight of the Sail
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:19 AM »
Im down for Frostgrave, ToH, Western, and as always BA
Gamer.  Generally nice guy...
Captain of sea, space, and sky.

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
Ok, we only got a handful of votes, but I think we can go from here. This will be the initial schedule.

Frostgrave - will run through June 2017
X-Wing: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster - July thru Dec
Legends of the Old West - January thru June 2018
Test of Honor - July thru Dec 2018

X-Wing requires minimal prep work, so it makes sense for it to start next.  LotOW will require you to get some cowboy minis and get them painted.  We'll also need to build up some terrain. 

The main idea behind putting this on a schedule is you have the 6 months to get the next game ready (minis, terrain, etc), then while playing that system you work on the next one for 6 months (minis, terrain, etc).  So for the 6 months we'll be playing X-Wing you should be building up your Legends stuff.  Come January we'll jump right into Legends, then you can start working on your samurai.

As I mentioned, I have the rules for Legends.  I'll post them on my Dropbox and put the links here.  There were 4 books released for the game, but one (The Alamo) was more focused on mass battles.  We'll stick with the main rulebook and the Frontier expansion (in case you want to play 7th Cavalry or Indians.)  I also have the 4th book (Showdown), but not in PDF format yet.

Basically you get $200 to buy heroes, henchmen, and their equipment.  That will get you about 7-10 guys, depending on what you buy.  You can start with a hired gun or even a Legend like Wyatt Earp (though that will significantly reduce what else you can buy).  Hired guns and Legends cost​ a retainer between games, if you can't afford it they leave your party and you need to buy them back at full price later.  It's risky early in the campaign, before you can build up a bankroll.

We'll play some one-off games between now the January, so everyone can get familiar with the rules.  I'll have some loaner posses for these if needed.

For me, I plan on running a lawman-themed list, based on the Lincoln County Regulators, with William Bonney (as a regular guy, before he became the Legend Billy the Kid).  At some point I'll buy the Legend version.  Just need to keep William alive!

Chuck Sherrange

• Regular
  • Citizen
  • Knight of the Sail
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
Tried to access the files and couldnt get them
Gamer.  Generally nice guy...
Captain of sea, space, and sky.

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »
Tried to access the files and couldnt get them

OK, I'll check, they should be accessible to anyone with the link.

patton4014

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
So what will we need for the x wing campaign?
Flash Gordon: Biro's hit! I'm going in after him!
Prince Vultan: Grrrr! Impetuous boy!
Prince Vultan: Ah, well; who wants to live forever? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Prince Vultan: [to the Hawkmen] DIVE!

Chuck the Castle Merchant

• Charles Phillips, Curmudgeon Apprentice
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • Sir Chuck!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
So what will we need for the x wing campaign?

An X-wing.  :D
My life project:  http://gestaltgenesis-daymillion.net/

My mother said to only say nice things about the dead.  He is dead.  That's nice.

“Posting on GASP Forums is something like talking with an echo.  You don’t get any argument, but you don’t get any results either.” – Robert Heinlein.

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
This is one time where Chuck is actually correct :)

There is some material that will need printed out, Tom Gintner has the details on all of that.  I think we are delaying the start of this until September, as vacations in July and GENCON is August is impacting several people's availability.

Thanks,

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
So we never got X-Wing: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster kicked-off unfortunately.  I'd still like to start Legends of the Old West in January though, a few of us have built posses (me, Jim, and Chuck) and bought some terrain.  Is anyone else interested in playing?  If so, you'll need to build a posse and start getting your minis ready.

http://eonsreach.com/gaspforum/index.php?topic=7646.0

Later,