Author Topic: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881  (Read 18292 times)

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
Re: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
The host of the forums has asked that we don't post a lot of images to the forum.  If you are linking to them from other sites though, that's fine.

Also, watch the language on the forums.  Yeah, I know.  :)

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
AW Tim, you mf-er you beat me to taking Luke to task on his damn filthy mouth :P
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Magic
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
I've been thinking about magic in our game/setting.  I'm assuming that it's more up to us as players to define what it is, how it works, and what it can do, given the way FATE is written.  (Stop reading here if I'm completely off-base).

This morning, I happened across a description of Mage : The Ascension, and I thought that game's general premise for magic fit our world very well.  Specifically, I liked the following ideas (lifted straight from Wikipedia as its faster than typing on the iPad):
  • Everyone has the capacity, at some level, to shape reality, but it is dormant in most people.
  • The beliefs and techniques of Magi vary enormously, and the ability to alter reality can only exist in the context of a coherent system of belief and technique, called a paradigm.
  • Paradigms tend to be idiosyncratic to the individual Mage, but the vast majority belong to broad categories of paradigm, e.g., Shamanism, Medieval Sorcery, religious miracle working, and superscience.
  • When it is performed ineptly, or is vulgar, and especially if it is vulgar and witnessed by non-mages, magic can cause Paradox which results in adverse consequences for the mage.

For more, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Ascension. (I'm sure you guys probably know a lot more about this system than I do.)

So, for example, Olivia is working from a Dreamspeaker (shamanistic)-type school/paradigm, while Andras is more of an Order of Hermes (occult) type.  If Cassandra has magic, it might be Verbena (blood magic)-esque.  Through the clash of cultures and globe trotting we may encounter other paradigms.

I'm not talking about bolting this system on wholesale, but it seems like a good source of inspiration and ideas.  No sense reinventing the wheel.  I especially like the idea of repercussions for inept or failed magic.  It keeps magic from being too powerful, and I think it fits well with the FATE system where failures can be as interesting as success.

Thoughts?

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • A Grownup who Likes to Pretend
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
I don't really want to use Mage, because I have played it a bunch, and it gets into a whole bunch of questions about the nature of reality and people have a really, really hard time grasping how paradigm works. Paradigm becomes a big pain, conceptually. I also don't mind if someone does what would be vulgar magic in this game.

To me, it is simple enough: magic exists. It is a thing. We cheat in that the world isn't really changed by it (no magic technology, for example) but accept that it exists in the capacity that people have always believed it to. People who use magic are around and doing things, and people believe in it, but there also isn't a mage school or anything - there are the secret societies and cultures we discussed. There are many different forms and ways to make it work, but people with the talent and focus can use various forms of magic. Now, can people throw fireballs and stuff like that? Not really. Magic works more in the way people have believed it to work, as rituals and talismans and methods that let you do a wide range of effects, but usually at a cost or for a limited time. Magic would be bounded only by the system in which it works; if you were trained as a hex-throwing Celtic witch, you wouldn't be doing Hermetic summoning. It is like different forms of cooking - a French-trained chef typically uses those methods to make meals, even if they dabble in others.

In terms of power, that is completely handled by us narratively and how I set difficulties. Divining the location of an item might not be that hard; if you want to summon a demon, that is harder; if you want to sink a continent into the ocean, you are looking at nearly impossible without the right tools and a lengthy quest.
GASP Games:
Burning Wheel - First Slot
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde - Second Slot

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
Mage is neat (I prefer Ascensions metaplot to Awakening - mostly because I like Sons of Ether) and Dresden's magic is another one to steal from.

Vulgar magic will be interesting, as at least my character will react to it. "That's impossible!"

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »
Thoughts on stunts? Will Damon ever post his background?
GASP Games:

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:19 AM »
Thought - I'm confused how stunts work to even pick them.

Damon - message on another thing like Facebook

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
As I said above, the stunts are listed in the book, and there is an example of how to build your own. You just have to pick the ones you want your character to have, they are like feats.

You have a Refresh, which is how many Fate points you start each game with. You get to choose how many stunts you have in relation to your refresh. You may choose to:

Have a refresh of 3, you have 2 stunts
Have a refresh of 2, you have 3 stunts
Have a refresh of 1, you have 4 stunts

So decide how much of a refresh you want, then pick corresponding stunts.

Re: Damon - he always posts here pretty regularly. Not sure why he is so scarce now.
GASP Games:

danb

• Dan B., Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
I must be looking in the wrong section of the book, because all they had in the way of stunts were a couple suggestions and the advice to makes stuff up. Maybe I need to read more carefully (or did this change from the old version to the new?). (Gina: I think I have the most recent version; just need to carve out the time to sit down and read the darn thing.)
"The guy with the beard"

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
I think your stunt plan sounds fine, Luke. I've gotta think up/find another one, but that shouldn't be too tough.

Luke can correct me here, but I've been thinking of stunts as extra "special abilities". Things your character is just darn good at, given a somewhat specific situation. For example, for one of my stunts, I took Arcane Expert, which grants a +2 bonus to create an advantage using Lore whenever the situation has specifically to with the supernatural or the occult.

It's also worth noting that stunts can be created through play. Maybe something comes up regularly and you realize it may be stunt. Talk to the GM and work something out. For that reason, I'm going to stick to two stunts to get started with. Also, if something isn't working the way you expected, or you never seem to get to use a stunt, it can be changed through play. It all seems pretty flexible.

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
Dan -- Every Skill has 3 suggested stunts, starting with Athletics on page 98 (of the most recent draft). If your version of the draft has art (and is dated March 18), then you have the most recent version.

I came up with these two, modifying the examples in the book. Look okay Luke? Any suggestions?
Stunts:
Arcane Expert - Grants a +2 bonus to create and advantage using Lore whenever the situation has specifically to with the supernatural or the occult.
Steel Trap - Grants a +2 bonus using Will to to defend against Magic attacks specifically related to Mind Control.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:36:09 AM by ThrashLibrarian »

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
I guess I'll just leave them empty with 3 refresh

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
I guess I'll just leave them empty with 3 refresh

That still gives you 2 stunts to choose.

Building stunts is on page 92 of the Fate Core doc; it can add new actions to skills, add bonuses to certain types of action, or create rules exceptions, and each version has example stunts.

If you then go to the skill listings, each skill lists 3 stunts you can take for that skill.

Mike's is a perfect example.
GASP Games:

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
My suggestion "to let them come out in play" was more leaning towards adding a 3rd or 4th stunt and reducing your refresh, rather than skipping picking any from the start. Just pick two and know that you can change them or tweak them if they aren't doing what you thought they would do. I started by looking at the skills I had up at the top of my pyramid.

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
My suggestion "to let them come out in play" was more leaning towards adding a 3rd or 4th stunt and reducing your refresh, rather than skipping picking any from the start. Just pick two and know that you can change them or tweak them if they aren't doing what you thought they would do. I started by looking at the skills I had up at the top of my pyramid.

This. I'm not going to be a hard ass if you want to change or swap stunts later, so long as it fits the character.
GASP Games: