Author Topic: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881  (Read 18286 times)

ThrashLibrarian

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
    • Gutter Cult
Re: Fate Core: Untitled
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
That's a pretty good suggestion, Gina. I'll take swap it in, for now.

Regarding stunts (and aspects, I believe), you can also discover them through play. If you have an open slot for a stunt, and something comes up that seems interesting, you can pass it by the GM and other players for approval.

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Olivia Damforth
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
OLIVIA DAMFORTH ~ Photo Attached
High ConceptPeabody Anthropologist Gone Native
TroubleThe world hasn’t changed, but I have.
I originally intended to use “Plagued by White Guilt” as Olivia’s trouble.  I prefer the re-write above because it can include the idea of white guilt, but it encompasses broader changes as well.  It better reflects the fact that Olivia is a woman somewhat out of/ahead of her time.  She’s not entirely comfortable with society as it is.
Skills:
Will (Great +4)
Crafts, Magic (Good +3)
Lore, Notice, Stealth (Fair +2)
Athletics, Fight, Resources, Shoot (Average +1)
Stunts
  • You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry:  +2 to Magic attacks targeting one or more opponents, e.g. curses.
  • Survivalist:  +2 to Craft rolls in wilderness settings

Background
The Damforth family roots run deep in the New England soil.  Some even say that the first Damforth arrived on the Mayflower.  Their privilege and quiet but strong influence pervades certain social circles, especially those of the “old families” of America and Europe.  The Damforths are known for producing a woman of strong character and bullheaded determination once every generation.  Not content with the status quo, these women either rise to prominence and power or are destroyed from without -or within- because they cannot conform to society’s demands.   Rumor has it that among them one might find Salem witches, prominent politicians in all-but-name, sea captains, and abolitionists.

Olivia Damforth was carefully educated and enjoyed all of the advantages that society offered.  Settling for nothing less, the Damforths persuaded Harvard to admit the young lady, contrary to all policy and propriety.  There she studied the decidedly unladylike field of anthropology, and upon graduation she transitioned to a position with the Peabody Museum.  Unable to decline her appointment, the director -one Edward Fiske- did his best to marginalize Olivia.  He hoped to frighten her into resignation with an assignment to collect ethnographic materials in New Guinea.  Quite the contrary, Olivia relished the challenge.

In 1874, Olivia set forth for the island by rail and steamer.  Guides and missionaries led her as far as they would dare into the jungle and arranged contact with familiar tribes.  Determined to prove herself, Olivia knew that artifacts from known people would not do.  She traveled from one tribe to another until she encountered the Waru – people isolated entirely from western society until the fateful day of their meeting.

Intrigued by the pale creature with leaf-colored eyes, the Waru welcomed Olivia, recognizing in her a strong spirit.   The attraction was mutual.  Weeks turned to months, and months to years.  At some uncertain point, Olivia realized she had no intention of returning to Cambridge.  She had adopted Waru ways and acquired the skills necessary to live in the highlands.  From Waru sorcerers, Olivia learned about the life-force and how it could be manipulated, stolen, or restored.  Contrary to the haughty views of her professors, she learned that the Waru were not a lesser people, clambering up the ladder of cultural evolution.  They were skilled and knowledgeable, and she both respected and admired them.

Olivia’s life with the Waru came to an abrupt end when they were found by gold prospectors traveling illegally and secretly.  They took food instead of bartering for it, and they shot people who got in their way.  Worse still, they carried a weapon more deadly than guns – disease.  Several days after their contact with the prospectors, many of the Waru succumbed to smallpox as Olivia watched with horror. 

Phase One – Foiled Again, Curses!
The Waru were lost.  Olivia knew that.  Those few who did not die from the first wave of disease would perish through violence or disease as they met other outsiders.  Her only hope was to return to Harvard to convince the department that cultures like the Waru were more than sources of bric-a-brac and fodder for papers about the superiority of European culture.  They were people to be valued in their own right, people with lore and knowledge anthropologists could only dream about.

She confronted Edward Fiske, director of the Peabody and pled with him, trying to impress upon him the importance of not only studying but also saving these cultures before it was too late.  Fiske was enraged by Olivia’s temerity, repulsed by her sympathy for “savages,” and secretly frightened by the mysteries she had uncovered.  When the argument escalated and he dismissed her outright, Olivia seized a hank of hair from his head, uttered a Waru curse, and fled from the museum, vowing to continue the mission on her own.

Unbeknownst to Olivia, the curse was both effective and powerful.  Had she completed the ritual by submerging the hair in water, Edward Fiske would simply have been marked to die.  The incomplete ritual had an entirely different effect.  Over the coming weeks, Fiske’s soulless body remained animated as he grew emptier and emptier inside.
Aspect Don’t tell me what I can’t do.
This aspect references the Damforth woman of “strong character and bullheaded determination.”

Phase Two- An Interview with a Vampire-Hunter
Disgraced and still stinging from her dust up at Harvard, Olivia takes a trip to England to cool her heels and visit her great uncle, Thaddeus Damforth.  Late one night at his country estate, an intruder makes an attempt on Thaddeus’s life.  Fortunately, Olivia’s keen senses alerted her to the attack, and she was able to fend off the assailant, allowing her uncle to escape.  Olivia is shocked to find herself face-to-face with a young woman and demands an explanation.  The invader introduces herself as Cassandra, Thaddeus’s estranged daughter.   But this was no simple familial dispute.  Cassandra reveals that Thaddeus is a vampire.  He tempted Cassandra to yield to her own true nature and to fulfill her destiny of power and longevity as one with vampire blood.  She fled, conflicted, but returned later intent upon slaying the monster who fathered her and served as her mother’s ultimate demise.
Aspect On a quest for the unknown
The idea behind this aspect is twofold.  Olivia wants to study hidden cultures before their knowledge is lost forever.  Also, she is now aware that ‘magic can be real’ per her experience in New Guinea.  She’s also learned that legendary/supernatural creatures really do exist per her discovery that her uncle is a vampire.  Is there a better way to phrase this aspect?

Phase Three – The Hart of the Matter
Olivia gets word that an acquaintance, Hem Vance, has gotten himself locked up in the drunk tank…again.  She sets out hoping to leverage the Damforth name, pull a few strings, and secure his release.  Needless to say, she is quite surprised to see walking toward her on the street none other than Hem himself, accompanied by a blustery old chap who introduces himself as Menry Brewbeckolf.  The three trade stories over tea, and Olivia learns that Menry, hunter extraordinaire, came to England in search of a legendary white stag.  Olivia knows it well; the deer is the White Hart.  If it is slain, the British Empire will fall.  She blanches when Hem describes the scene as he last saw it.  The great beast was felled at the hands of mysterious people conducting some dark “ritual.”
Aspect The Damforth name is known in certain circles.
This aspect references the fame/infamy of the Damforth name, the fact that their privilege and quiet but strong influence pervades certain social circles, especially those of the “old families” of America and Europe.

I kind of shoe-horned my trouble and phase aspects.  I generated them from Olivia’s background, the phase stories on her sheet, and the phase stories she appears in on other peoples’ sheets.

I referenced the Strands of Fate suggestion to use the “Aspect Alphabet”:
A – Ambition
B – Background
C – Conviction
D – Disadvantages

Strands also uses “Specialty Aspects” since that system uses a total of ten aspects.  The suggested specialty aspect alphabet is:
E – Exceptional Skill
F – Foe(s)
G – Gear
H – Help (e.g. a contact you can call on for help)
I – Inferior Skill
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:38:25 PM by Gina »

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
Menry's picture - you are doomed!
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »
Mwahahahahaha!!!!! Perfect

Can't you see I'm trying to play another serious, tragic, outcast female over here while you're being all humorous?  Sheesh.   ;)

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
Im not going to be humorous. I'm going to be overbearing, misogynist and LOUD!

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
I'm going to be overbearing, misogynist and LOUD!

You slay me.   :D

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • A Grownup who Likes to Pretend
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
Re: stunts

We will make them as per the existing rules (1 stunt = 3 refresh, 2=2 refresh, 3 = 1 refresh) and then I will offer bonuses based on how all the characters turn out.
GASP Games:
Burning Wheel - First Slot
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde - Second Slot

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
Victorian Dictionary
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
I happened across a nifty site today, the Victorian Dictionary.  The site primarily covers Victorian London, but you'll find a ton of tidbits there.
http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
Menry's story (so far)
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
Sir Menry Brewbeckolf
Born 5 May 1819

Appearance (beyond the picture already posted)
Menry, even in his 60s, is a big, loud, barrel chested man with salt and pepper hair and a large waxed mustache. While bulky he moves with the strength of an oxen and twice as bull headed. In contrast to the physical strength he exudes, when he is not hunting he walks with a noticeable limp, a souvenir of his time on the Crimean Peninsula.

Menry was born into a middling noble family with an ancient lineage of service to the British Crown. Purchasing his commission, as traditional, the young man entered the officers corp in line infantry. He quickly gained a reputation for strict discipline but unusual camaraderie with his men, even the low born members.

His first deployment of note was in the disastrous first Anglo-Afghan war, where he managed against odds to keep a higher number of his men alive through the conflict than other officers. The atrocities he encountered would haunt him the rest of his life. He continued to enjoy a slow steady rise in rank until 1854 when his unit was ordered into the Crimean campaign. The brutal conditions of static trench warfare took a bloody toll on the unit as Menry struggled to maintain discipline and effectiveness in spite of nonsensical regulations of the Commissariat and the "unpleasant" weather of the Crimean Peninsula. Fighting was intense and the artillery fire was unrelenting, eventually landing Menry in an overcrowded unsanitary hospital with shrapnel wounds. In spite of the wounds, and most likely interfering with his healing that would leave him limping for the rest of his life, Menry returned to his line when the last officer outranking him was killed. Taking command he was able to hold the line, effectively commanding his section of the battle, at a cost to his body that would earn him a Victoria Cross. Rewarded with command of the Grenadier company of the 4th Kings Royal Regiment of Foot Colonel Menry was shipped to China to take part in the second Opium War. After the Second Opium war, reforms passed by the incoming Liberal government changed Menry's army in ways he could not adapt to. The regulations now covering discipline made Menry's "Bloodybacks", as the grenadiers called themselves due to his liberal use of flogging, a thing of the past and he was allowed to retire with full honors instead of being prosecuted under the new laws.

While serving Menry was married and his wife bore him several children but only 1 son. Sadly the boy did not live through his childhood, and Menry's daughters have all married off. While Menry was serving in China his wife took sick and died before he could return to Britain.

Alone again, pensioned off from the only job he had ever known, Menry fell back on his childhood pastime of hunting. The challenge of the hunt fed new energy into his tired, injured body and he felt more alive than he had since his glory days on the battlefield. Soon however he found that it took more challenging, dangerous game to get the same feeling. Taking advantage of his carefully managed family resources he soon began roaming the world in search of new challenges, .500 Nitro Express double rifle near at hand.

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Protector
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
Revised Fatecore released by evil hat

danb

• Dan B., Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »
Edited 4/1, a good day. I think this is complete now:

Name: Hem Vance
Back Story: After spending a few drab years cultivating a taste for booze while acting as a reporter at the bottom rung of NYC's police blotter, Vance filed a disjointed story relating vampire-like activities in the jazz clubs of Harlem. His editor, fed up with Vance's less than traditional interests and writing style, fired him. In desperation, Vance shopped the story around the city, but the only place showing any interest was AMAZING ADVENTURES, a low-rent pulp rag. Surprisingly, the piece proved popular, and a few more like it put Vance's name on the cover. After a few years of similar stories, Vance has long since given up trying to convince his editor (or most anyone else) of the truth in his stories, and has gained a somewhat extravagant expense account but an increasing apprehension of the dark and malevolent nature of the world.

High Concept: Unheeded prophet of the coming apocalypse
Trouble: Unapologetic alcoholic with too much curiosity and too little self-preservation
Skills:
Contacts (Great, +4)
Investigation, Notice (Good, +3)
Burglary, Athletics, Rapport (Fair, +2)
Empathy, Fighting, Shooting, Will (Average, +1)
Stunts:
Always a Way Out: +2 on Burglary rolls made to create an escape
Danger Sense: Notice skill works unimpeded by sensory impairments in situations where someone/something intends to harm me

Part One:
Early in his new notoriety, Vance hears of elaborate rituals in a village near London (something about a statue made of rattan? details weren't clear), and manages to convince his editor to pay for his first trip overseas. A lack of tact gets him into a brawl; despite the unexpected help of a surprisingly ADEPT? older man, he and the old guy (Memry Brewbeckolf) end up locked up. But the cell is unattended and Vance is decent with a lockpick, so soon he and Memry are fleeing, only to run into Olivia Damforth, an acquaintance who had (ostensibly) come to London to aide Vance. She has additional information linking the village rituals to the White Hart -- Memry was hunting it, and he might not be the only one...
Aspect: How far down does this rabbit hole go?

Part Two:
The Harvard faculty uses one of Vance's stories to ridicule Olivia Damforth's interests in tribal culture, a lever to drive her out of the department. Damforth, unfamiliar with Vance's writing and dismissive of anyone publishing in "lower class" magazines, nevertheless recognizes the veracity of his story's details and contacts him. During their conversations, they realize that another tribe is destined for the same fate as the Waru; moreover, they realize that they might be able to save them, with the help of a certain amulet stored at the Peabody Museum...
Aspect: Connecting the dots, one person at a time

Part Three:
Olivia and Cassandra have tracked Olivia's uncle Thaddeus to NYC, and they show up on Vance's doorstep. He helps them track Thaddeus to the sewers of Harlem, where they confront him in a vampire lair. In the chaos, Thaddeus falls into a sewer canal; no body is found...
Aspect: The darkness is ever-encroaching
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:24:02 PM by danb »
"The guy with the beard"

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
Re: Fate Core: Esoterica 1881
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 02:08:56 AM »
Ok, I think I see everyone but Damon's background.

If you guys want to check the new Fate Core draft (which is up) we can start talking stunts. I think I want to do it like so:

Refresh 3, 2 stunts
Refresh 2, 3 stunts
Refresh 1, 4 stunts

We can either create custom ones from the book, or use the ones they have.
GASP Games:

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
Aspect: How far down does this rabbit hole go?

Delicious.  I love the way you phrased this aspect.

Gina

• Knight of GASP
  • Knight
  • Citizen
The Forest Guardians
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
Today's Boston Globe Big Picture post made me think of Olivia's adventures.  Granted, these guys are from the Amazon, not New Guinea, but they're still spooky-cool. 

To see the whole photo collection, visit http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/03/smithsonian_magazine_2012_phot.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shingen

• Knight of the Atom
  • Regular
  • Citizen
Re: The Forest Guardians
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Today's Boston Globe Big Picture post made me think of Olivia's adventures.  Granted, these guys are from the Amazon, not New Guinea, but they're still spooky-cool. 

That is awesome.

IN other news: Damon post your @#%^$$(# background stuff.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:07:47 PM by Evernevermore »
GASP Games: