Author Topic: MERCS  (Read 11563 times)

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
Re: MERCS
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
So Don, what were your impressions of Mercs last night?

From what I've seen on the website, I like the looks of the CCC, Sefadu, and the USSR. Problem is, I've made the choice to go with the "cool" looking minis before and got burned when they really don't live up to much potential. Hence, the reason I want to play. Based on coolness, though, I am leaning towards Sefadu. I just really like the minis.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:17:35 AM by Tioch »
"They don't like it when you shoot at them. I figured that out myself" - Sgt Mal Reynolds

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk" - Tuco

I'm in the blog-o-sphere! Check me out at dropshipinbound.blogspot.com

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
First impression is I like the game.  It's fast and deadly, which is good in my opinion.  Games won't drag out forever.

We only played with the 'basic' (CCM) rules , no advanced (ACM) rules were used, like Op Fire and Suppression.  I think they will add a lot to the game's tactics.  Any negatives I have will probably be alleviated by the advanced rules.

Couple things I liked
1. no point values to worry about.  Just pick 5 guys and fight.  Makes building armies easy.
2. The models are very nice
3. Small play area (2'x3') means fast games, limited terrain needed
4. I like the armor checks, so even if your weapon has no chance to wound, you could still cause an armor malfunction.  I also like that armor failures make you immobile (-2MP, which for most models is immobile)
5. I like the Snap to Cover (S2C) rule, and I like that you can do it any any point in your activation
6. I like that you can only fire OR move (special rules aside).  This didn't really comeinto play in our game though, as we got into position and sisn't really move anyway.
7. The learning curve on this game seems is steep than Infinity.  It's a better system for a new player to learn.

Couple things that bugged me.
1. There are not a lot of choices currently for constructing your 'army'.  Each faction has 6 unique models, and you get to pick 5 to fight with.  I know more are coming (another 4 for each faction), so that will open up more choice.
2. The battle seemed a bit stagnant.  We got into position, and ther really wasn't any reason to move around further.  At that point it came down to who could roll dice better.  With the advanced rules that may help, not sure till I try them
3. The rules are straight forward enough, but each character has it's own set of abilities which you will need to learn, not only for your army but for the other factions as well.
4. The weapon damage and armor ranges seem too limited.  Armor is rated 1-4, same with weapons.  a 1-6 range may have provided a bit more of a dynamic feel
5. I'm not a fan of single d10 combat resolution.  I don't like it in Anima Tactics, and I don't like it here.  There is no bell curve with a single die, so the only way to have any kind of odds is to throw more dice.  Unfortunately, most attacks are limited to 2-3 dice max.  There are a few 4 dice attacks, but there are even more 1 die attacks.

I'm sure there are other things, but overall I liked the game.  I think Infinity is a better system, with more depth of play, but it is also much hearder to teach a new player, and there are way too many choices for building your army in Infinity.  It's really not new player friendly.

I played the KemVar last night, and I still like them.  I want to try the CCC next, and maybe Texico.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------------
GASP King and All-Around Cool Guy

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
Jim,

Found a few errors on the KemVar cards.

1. Assassin has a melee of +3, not +1
2. Heavy Assault does 4 attacks per target when he combines his templates, not 3.
3. Demolition's worm grenade is not a template, single target only (FN 5)

Also, the USRC Ice Grenade does not have an FN, just pick a spot on the ground and layout the template.  But you need to pick the spot first before checking coverage with the template.

Thanks,

Clap!

• Knight of the Long Knives
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
That stinks. Ive never double checked the cards stats or looked for an errata online. I need to do that.
A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer. - Mitch Hedberg

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »
You gotta check all the errata and look through the forums. I know the rules for my FCC aren't the clearest on the cards, though that may have more to do with how terrain is adjucated
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
Do the forums have stats for each army, or is there say a place where I can find said stats if I want to check out say Sefadu or ISS?
"They don't like it when you shoot at them. I figured that out myself" - Sgt Mal Reynolds

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Do the forums have stats for each army, or is there say a place where I can find said stats if I want to check out say Sefadu or ISS?

Not that I've seen.  Even the book doesn't have the model's stats, which I find strange.  It seems you need to buy the cards to get the stats.

Later,

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
Found these descriptions online about each faction, if people are interested: Still no real stats, but it gives more info on abilities for each unit in a given faction.

Sefadu - http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/06/mercs-%E2%80%93-faction-focus-sefadu/\

Keizai-Waza- http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/11/22/mercs-%E2%80%93-faction-focus-keizai-waza/

FCC - http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/11/mercs-faction-focus-fcc/

Kemvar - http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/10/04/mercs-faction-focus-kemvar/

CCC - http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/09/27/mercs-faction-focus-ccc/

USCR - http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/09/29/mercs-faction-focus-uscr/

Nothing yet on the ISS or Texaco. After reading the Sefadu, they are a bit more interesting.

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
I believe they have the stats only on the cards, but then again Ive only picked up a few minis singly, not one of the starters. This would make it cheaper to reprint adjusted cards in case of errata or some other change
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
So my Sefadu box came in the mail yesterday and I like what I see. They will be tricky to play since there are pretty different to the KemVar, CCC, and USCR, but I'm looking forward to it. One thing, they are fast!

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
Just noticed a couple days ago on the Mercs site that they have put up generic cards for all of the factions currently in the game. It's good way to see what you are up against. Also, looks like they have current FAQs for all of the factions being sold right now.

That being said, I know were were talking about doing something during the first slot on Friday of the convention. Anyone interested in making it a Mercs match? I'll endeavor to have my Sefadu at least ready for the 'Con.

Clap!

• Knight of the Long Knives
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Attention MERCS players coming to GASPCon.

Friday early slot, there is no Miniatures event so Tioch and I were going to throw down some MERCS.  Anyone else in?
A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer. - Mitch Hedberg

Tioch

• Royal Seneschal
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • Dropship Inbound
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
So have the MERCS guys released any kinds of scenarios for the game or not? Or is it just stand-up deathmatches in all the colors of the rainbow?