Author Topic: Midnight Loren Blight Adventure  (Read 5991 times)

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
Midnight Loren Blight Adventure
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
Roy wanted me to do a solo adventure for him for his White Wolf RPG Midnight Character that was left behind by the other characters as they smuggled themselves out of Baden's Bluff.

I will try to be fairly frequent in the postings, but I work a lot now.

I realized I should have given you your character sheet Roy, but I can make an electronic version and post it here.

For now this is a solo adventure, but later (if he wants to) it might include other players.

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
Re: Midnight Loren Blight Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
Loren Blight
Erenlander (Human) Smuggler, Thief, and all-around pain in the arse

Attributes
Strength **
Dexterity *****
Stamina ***
Charisma **
Manipulation ***
Appearance ****
Perception ***
Intelligence **
Wits **

Abilities

Talents:

Alertness & Awareness **
Athletics -
Bluff & Subterfuge **
Contortions & Escape Artist *
Dodge ***
Empathy -
Expression -
Fortitude **
Intuition & Gambling **
Leadership *
Performance & Music **
Riding -

Skills:

Animal Empathy -
Commerce & Barter *
Crafts -
Disguise *
Intimidation ***
Legerdemain **
Locks **
Research -
Stealth & Hiding ***
Streetwise ***
Survival & Tracking -
Traps *

Knowledge:

Concentration *
Etiquette **
Linguistics ** (Erenlander, Trader's Tongue, Colonial)
Lore Arcane -
Lore Dragon & Monster -
Lore Hearth Wisdom -
Lore History & Law -
Lore Medicine & Herb -
Lore Planar -
Lore Politics & Nobility -
Lore Religion *
Lore Undead -

Combat Skills #1

Brawling & Unarmed *
Melee (1H Edged) *** (I fixed this)
Melee (1H Blunt)

Combat Skills #2

Grappling **
Melee (2H Edged) -
Melee (2H Blunt) -

Combat Skills #3

Melee (Polearms) -
Ranged (Archery) -
Ranged (Thrown) **

Racial Traits Erenlander (Human)

+1 Dex, +1 Int
+1 streetwise
+1 Intimidation
+1 Linguistics
+1 Lore Religion
Adaptable +5 freebie points

Plot Points ***
Willpower *******
Current Willpower *******

Unused Experience 0
Total Experience 18
Initiative (we are going to use a deck of cards)

Type of Armor: Light
Soak 1B 2L
Dex Dice Penalty 0
Walk 9 yds, Jog 17yds, Run 35 yds

Weapon Dagger x2
Damage Str + 2
Min Str 1

Weapon Magical Dagger
Damage Str + 4
Min Str 1
Other?

Health
Bruised 0 []
Hurt -1 []
Injured -1 []
Wounded -2 []
Mauled -2 []
Crippled -5 []
Incapacitated []

Herbs
2 Doses of Tikiri Shavings [Heal 3 Bashing, or 2 Lethal damage]
1 Dose Thul Pods [+1 Dexterity, -1 Stamina]
1 Dose Torfur Root [+2 Fortitude, +1 Stamina]
1 Dose Ungulok Stems [Ignore the first 2 damage, -2 Intelligence, -2 Perception]
2 Doses Yonglur Flowers [+2 Dodge, Draw two initiative cards and add them together]

Other Items:
Bag of 72 Nails.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:07:22 PM by Baron Von Harper »

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
1st Day, Nighttime

Watching from the shadows as the Gnome trading ship took his close friends away from the city of Baden's Bluff on the black waters, Loren knew once more the pain of loneliness in a dark and foreboding world.  What was he to do now that his friends had left him, hopefully taking the scrutiny of the dark Legate with them.  For awhile he sat there, staring into the darkness that felt like his life, empty, and nearly empty of hope.  But when hope is nearly dead, stubborn pride and a desperate survival in spite of all obstacles remains.  Sometimes we must deal without hope.  From here his new life began, staring at the Worm Docks falling apart around him.  The question that lingered in his head, was, "What now?"   

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
OOC I fixed your 1H Edged skill, you had 3 dots in it.  Sorry about the typo.

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »
Loren apparently, falls asleep on the dock... hehe.   :P

Gabriel Stryffe

• Regular
  • Citizen
    • Gabriel Stryffe's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »
What Now?

Loren Turned from the ocean veiw after seeing that the last bit of white sail, turned a firey yellow by the remaining light of sunset, dissappear from veiw. As he stepped off of the rickety old docks and onto the streets of Baden's Bluff, the faces of his companions and the shocked expressions on their faces returned to him. They were surprised to find out that he would not be going with them. They had managed to rescue a horde of magic items, mostly weapons, from the Legates that were supposed to be disposed of or destroyed, sacrificed to the dark god somehow, the exact process was unknown to Loren, but it didn't matter to him anyway. He and his friend's thievery had brought the attention of the Legates and their massive undead wyvern upon them. Eveyone else knew it was time to get out of the city as fast as they could, Loren only knew that it was time to sever ties with them and get back to business. They were all good people, excellent theives, and best of all - professionals.
   Unfortunately he knew that he couldn't lead them, if anything they were going to get him killed if he stuck with them much longer. Too many conflicts of interest, too many strong personalities amoungst the group, too many of them wanting to be in charge and make the plans, but no one wanted to listen, follow through, or do what was asked of them. If thieves are going to survive in this world, they have to know how to work together. But alas, somebody in the group was getting greedy. One of the items that they had found was a magical axe of some sort, it seemed to pull its weilder either in the direction of safety or in the direction of hidden treasure...acutally it had seemed to do both while Loren was holding it just a few short hours ago. The axe is what led him to a hidden stash of goods that someone in his group had hid in the wall of the basement behind some loose brick and mortar. some iron ingots suitable for crafting into tools, a dagger and some strange sticky leaves with an odd residue on them. Someone went to great lengths to hide this from him and the others. Thieves will be thieves, but it was a turn that he didn't appreciate, not after the fact that he had risked his onw life for them, not once but twice. On those very docks, he thought to himself looking over his shoulder. He had killed an Orc on the deck of a ship to keep it from discovering his friends below deck, pilfering through crates of goods that they would later use for bribes and currency. The other time was just outside the building where the magic items were being kept. The others had found a way in through the sewers, but in order to make sure that they could make their get away, the Orcish guards outside the building had to be distracted. Loren remembers how he had stepped out into the middle of the street where they could see him, shouting at the top of his lungs, declaring to them and anyone within earshot his ability to read, the stolen nails in his possession, and the fact that he called the Orcs' heritage into question...that was probably the hardest and the fastest that he had ever run in his life.
   Afertwards came the arguments about what to do with the loot that they had found and who deserved what pieces. They only had to take down a single Orc and a Goblin thanks to him, the other 10 Orcs where nowhere to be found when the Goblin called for reinforcements before the Gnome put an arrow through the Goblin's Throat. That was all because of him, because Loren risked his life for the group and for the prize. Once they had made it away safely with the biggest score of their carreer, it seemed to Loren as if everyone wanted to the perceivably best peices for themesleves and wanted to ditch the rest so as not to attract the attention of the Orcs and the Legates...Well then what in the hell was the point of doing this in the first place? He pushed the thought out of his head, reminding himself that he still had all of the nails and a nice piece of light armor from the boat heist and a magical dagger from the Temple, all in all not a bad cut.
   Unfortunately, loot isn't the only thing that they bring to the table that you get a percentage of. You also get a cut of their fear, doubt, and apprehension. You have to deal with that, because one person sitting at the table with fearis all it takes to infect everyone. There's no room for fear, not in a world like this. Fear was how the Dark God and his Orcs and Legates controlled everyone else, and now fear of them had driven his companions to leave Baden's Bluff. All of this is what brought Loren to the conclusion that he should strike out on his own, again. If he was to fulfill his dream of running his own theives guild, or even just a gang of cut-throats who were going to make it possible for him to be running this city in a few years, it was time to move on.
   "I'm not leaving," His last words to them ringing in his own ears. "I wish you all the best of luck, but I'm not leaving." When they wanted to know why, he didn't tell them that it was because he was pretty sure that the giant undead lizard thing was tracking the large concentration of magic items that they carried with them, but he did tell them the truth. "Because this is the most exciting place in the world to live, and I'm never leaving." That part was true at least. He did find Baden's Bluff exciting. The difference between every day being a struggle for survival and fun was simply one's attitude. He had handed over all of the other gear and magical weapons that he was carrying and said farewell to them all. Already he planned on being poised and ready to help them if they ever returned, at the same time he realized that if he was still just cutting purses and pulling second story jobs by the time they did come back, they may not think very highly of him. He definately had to make something of himself in the time that they would be away...that's assuming that they would ever come back, alive or at all.
   But first thing was first, food and sleep, it had been a long day. Keeping his head low and moving through the shadowy alleyways, he made his way to one of the taverns off of the Worm Docks. Going inside he did his best to avoid the eyes of the other patrons and stepped up to the bar. He pulled three nails out from under his claok looking to the tavernkeeper.
   "How 'bout it, can you put me up for the night?"
"Roll for sadness...Critical fail"

Favorite RPGs: 7th Sea & Earthdawn
Favorite Boardgame: SHOGUN
Preferred Game Settings: Fantasy and/or Cyberpunk
"If I say it, then it's a word!"

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »
After wondering around for a bit, Loren noticed that a few sailors and workers from the docks, made their way to a tavern that seemed to have no name above the door, and was snug between two old warehouses.  It was on the western end of the Worm Docks, far from the orc garrison.  It was to this place that his lonely feet took him.

Inside he finds that the low-key exterior does not portend what is inside.  He sees various tables for games of chance, and lots of beat-up and worn out patrons that seem almost entirely made up of fisherman and dock hands.  There is lots of talking, and it seems that a pale ale is the drink of choice, on tap behind a large bar.

Perception check: 1, 1, 7, 7, 3 (fail).

An older 60 year old man stands behind the bar, and Loren notices that he must be the one in charge, as serving girls and other workers at the tables come to ask him questions on what they should do next and the like.  You overhear that people call him Kels, or Mister Lofsson.

There is no music in the establishment, and the sound is of lots of voices talking in unison, rising and getting lower like the waves of the sea. 

Making his way up to the bartender and possible manager, Loren makes his reveal of the nails, and asks to be put up for the night.

Kels looks down at the nails, and motions for them to be put away.  He looks left and right and then leans in.

"When foxes are caught by the farmers that lost their chickens, they are not normally well taken care of.  If you get my meaning...  Aye, I have a room for you, but for this night it is free of charge.  Don't ask why."

With that Kels hands over a key, and points to a dark set of stairs behind the bar that lead up overhead.  He pours a glass of pale ale, and continues on about his business.  Loren guesses he has to go under the bar to get to the stairs, but perhaps he isn't quite ready to depart upstairs into the unknown just yet.

Games of chance, ale, and fisherman's stories await in the common areas behind him, as he sits at the bar.

Gabriel Stryffe

• Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »
   Loren Took up the glass of ale in his left hand. Drawing his dagger and keeping it held firmly in an under-handed grip with the cool steel of the blade resting against his forearm. After taking a sip of the ale, he set the glass down and pulled his cloak tighter around his right side so as to make it look like he was just trying to keep warm. Truly he sought his right hand and the blade held within, always best to have a weapon at the ready, even when you think you've made a clean getaway. He glanced over his shoulder, looking to the crowd. He thought for a moment that a game of chance might be in order to top off the evening, but unfortunately all he has to really gamble with are his stolen nails. Even if he won a few hands, someone in this crowd may get some ideas about trying to take the nails and the rest of his winnings by force. Or worse yet, someone may go report to the Orcs that there's a man walking around with a lot of nails. It wouldn't necessarily make them a bad person, but even good people who live in times of fear and desperation would be willing to do just about anything to make sure that their family is fed.
   After that cautionary thought passed through his mind, he decided to sit quietly for a while. Looking carefully about the common room, listening to the stories and grumblings of fishermen and other tavern Patrons. He allowed his gaze from table to table and from group to group, finding that often time when he would look in a particular direction, it helped to better focus his attention and allowed him to hear what people were saying a bit easier.

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
There are lots of grumblings about large loads of fish, and other valuable items being confiscated by The Shadow.  They also say that there have been a very high amount of Gnome bodies turning up in the fishing nets lately.  Not a good time to be a Gnome on the open waters these days it seems.  They also complain about being boarded A LOT more than normal, and with the boardings the usual brutality, but with the more boardings the crews are more bloodied and seriously wounded, some permanently missing fingers and the like.

Many suspect that they must be looking for someone or something, and because of it many people are suffering.  There are several complaints about lower amounts of fish being caught, and some other talk about some strange construction going on deep out in the water.

Gabriel Stryffe

• Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
Hearing of the recent plight of gnomes, Loren feels about himself. Broad shoulders, Blunt ears, clean shaven, over six feet tall -whew!- still human. Hearing of this certainly does cause him to worry for his friends, and wonder at whether or not they are going to make it to their port of call, moreover if they are ever going to find the safety that they seek out in the open. No, that's silly, no one is safe out in the open. That's one of the things that makes Baden's Bluff so accommodating for naughty men like him, plenty of places to hide.
   Though feeling sorry for the Gnome race as a whole, the very though that Gnomes keep coming up in the nets does bode well for dolphins. Sipping at his pale ale and keeping a hard grip on the dagger under his cloak, Loren wonders for a moment if some dolphins might be seen this summer off of the docks. He hadn't seen dolphins out in the waters since he was a child, and that was long before he ever came to Baden's Bluff. Then a sense of reality came back to his mind. The way that people fish these waters to excess to get their hands on all of the food that they can, they're probably aren't any more dolphins left anywhere. Maybe that was why this ol' world has fallen into darkness and despair the way it has. No albatross, no dolphins, nothing left in the world that brings good luck and good fortune. People probably ate their last bit of good luck a long time ago.
   Finishing his pale ale, he takes another look about the common room, trying to see what else he can hear before he takes the key and ascends the stairs that Kels gave him...

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
There are several mentions of a new torture being used.  No one knows what it is exactly (and rumors tend to change the truth), but it is said that once this method is performed on you, you are are forever changed. 

There have also been a lot of dead prostitutes lately, as the Orcs have been frequently the houses of pleasure more than they normally do.  Some of the bodies have been paraded around by the Orcs that killed them.  Obscene female body parts have been scene on helmets and on the armor of some of the more brutal tribes of Orcs.

Strange rumors of a unique order of Legates that use Arcane magic as well as Divine magic has caused a stir in the Order of the Shadow (the main church of Izrador).   

Baron Von Harper

• Protector
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
Hey Roy,

I don't think you get online enough to keep doing this.  I'm glad you liked my game enough to want to play online, but it just isn't working.

I'm trying to cut back my time spent on the computer, as I spend a lot of time on it.

Cya around.