Author Topic: URGENT!!!! April's Games Day and beyond  (Read 14594 times)

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
URGENT!!!! April's Games Day and beyond
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
We just found out this week that GASP has been told the First Baptist Church is no longer available for our Game Days.  Here is the e-mail we received from Pastor Mark.

I take it you did not receive my email from March 17th.

There were some issues with the last game day that, combined with the pre-easter date, made the trustees decide to ask you to move to the alternative location earlier than planned.  I am sorry that you did not get the email, I sent it through the web sight.

The three issues that precipitated this were: 1) There was some form of liquid spilled in the kitchen and a sticky mess was found the next morning.  One of the ladies felt it her place to clean this mess rather than tell me about it.  This made her angry and she approached a trustee.  2) There were piles of cigarette buts left by the door, something that I do not believe we have had before.  3) The bathroom was left a mess, I believe this was the hand towels filling the receptacle beyond capacity.

In the meeting, I attempted to get a one month notice so that we could tell everyone in April, but then it was seen that the Saturday would be the day before Easter, a very sensitive time.

I am not willing to push this issue seeing how I need to continue to have a relationship with the people who were upset that is open to pastoral need.  As I said earlier, I have sent this notice 2 weeks ago, hoping that there would be enough time to act.  Now that I have gotten your email, I fear that you did not receive it.

I am deeply sorry about this and hope that you will be able to find an appropriate venue for April.  Please call me for more information.

Mark

As most everyone knows, the plan was to start holding our monthly Game Days at Legions starting on July 11th.  Now we are forced to accelerate the move, and Legions is not fully ready for the swarm of gamers that will descend on their store each month.

There are 2 main issues that need resolved.  The first is the store's lack of chairs and the second is gaming space for the RPGs.  I have a separate post concerning the RPG space, so I won't go into that here.  As for the chairs, we are going to ask people to bring some with them each month (if they have them).  The store is going to try and accelerate their chair purchase time-table as well.

Now, concerning Games Day for April 11th.  There is already an event booked at the store for that day (Band of Gamers Miniatures Con).  I have spoken with Bill, and although the last event drew about 30 people, they did not use much table space since each game accommodates about 10-12 players.  We are currently waiting to hear back from the Band of Gamers organizer to make sure he is OK with sharing the space.  Both myself and Legions feel there would also be some good cross-over gamers between GASP and Band of Gamers, so double-booking for that day may actually help both groups.  In addition, they only have the space till about 7pm, so the remainder of the evening will be more open.

The other option is to move Games Day to the 18th.  The problem with this is that a Warhammer Fantasy tournament is scheduled for that day.  Although they only get about 12 players per tournament, they use a lot more table space, since each table only accommodates 2 players.  Plus, there is not the same cross-over potential as with the Band of Gamers con.

The last option is to cancel an official Games Day for April.

Right now, I am leaning towards holding Games Day on the 11th, pending word back from the Band of Gamers organizer.  With Easter being the following day, we were expecting a lighter turn-out anyway.  If we do double-book, just realize that space will be a bit tighter during the afternoon.  Because of this, we will need to cancel all RPGs scheduled for noon.  4pm is a bit iffier, and 8pm should be OK.

Even if the decision is made to cancel an "official" Games Day for April, Legions will still be open on the 11th, and available for anyone that wants to show-up and either play some board games or join-in with the Band of Gamers.

Please spread the word.  I will send a mass e-mail out later today, but if you have the chance to let others know, please don't assume they got the notice.  I would hate to miss some people, and have them show-up at the church on the 11th.

I will post more info as it becomes available.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:51:02 AM by DaBard »
---------------------------------------------
GASP King and All-Around Cool Guy

Reliant

• Slacker
  • Regular
  • Protector
    • www.gaspgamer.com
Re: URGENT!!!! April's Games Day and beyond
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
There's also a Monsterpocalypse tournament at Legions on the 11th.  That's not that big a deal (maybe 8-16 people) but it's another group that'll be at the store.  We'll be on the "stage" area in the back of the room.

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
There's also a Monsterpocalypse tournament at Legions on the 11th.  That's not that big a deal (maybe 8-16 people) but it's another group that'll be at the store.  We'll be on the "stage" area in the back of the room.

Sorry, I knew that as well, but since you are playing on the stage, it didn't affect board game space, only RPG space, so I didn't mention it.

Thanks,

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • GASPs resident Mad Hatter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »
How much work needs done to get the extra rooms ready? Are they usable as is if we have enough chairs and tables?

Maybe we can get some penance out of whoever spilled pop and left cig butts
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:15:10 PM by Evernevermore »
Quoteth the Raven, "Nevermore".

"Character background is what happens between Level 1 and 6" - E Gary Gygax

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

http://enmc-blog.blogspot.com/

Baron Von Harper

• Baron
  • Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
Wow, that pulled the rug out from under me.

I don't know why, but I kind of had a feeling something like this was going to happen before were ready for the move.

We'll survive, and we can make sacrifices till the location is fully ready for us.

KnightoftheDead

• Curt Collins
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
  • Royal Constable
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
When I get home I'll do a check, but I can bring at least 5, maybe along the lines of 10 chairs.  Depending on what fits in my car.
Top Boardgames
Everdell
Thunder Alley
Inca Empire
Concordia

Guildmaster

• Guildmaster
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »
Never a dull moment.
Reading: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
Favorite Boardgames: Brass, Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages, Goa, Dominion, Planet Steam, Russian Railroads, Die Macher, Castles of Burgundy
Best "New to Me" game played in 2015: Aquasphere

assassin of joy

• Press Ganger
  • Regular
  • Protector
  • People with titles are compensating for small.....
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »

Sorry, I knew that as well, but since you are playing on the stage, it didn't affect board game space, only RPG space, so I didn't mention it.

Thanks,

Actually quite a bit of crossover here as well so it shouldn't be too bad, the tournament should only take 4-5 hours at most anyway.

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
Ok here's another question - do we have a pizza place lined up at all or was that anotherthing for the next few months?

"What the ---? 'Load Ammo Error'. What does that even mean? This is a Wolfhound!" - Battletech: A Time of War

The Man in Black

• Knight of Disguise - Mark K.
  • Regular
  • Protector
  • Lo que no me mata, me marca más fuerte
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »
I can't make the games day on the 11th, however I have time in the mornings most days next week, I can work on helping fix up the place - as requested under work crews thread..
"The Man in Black pushed his hood away with the backs of both hands, laughing."
"So! Not an end, but the end of the beginning, eh?"

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »
Ok here's another question - do we have a pizza place lined up at all or was that anotherthing for the next few months?

That was arranged a few months ago.  There is a pizza shop in the plaza we will order from.  There is also a chinese restaurant, a diner, a Rite Aid, and a Shop N Save, so there are plenty of choices for food.

Thanks,

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
I just spoke with Bill at Legions and we are cleared to hold our Game Day on the 11th.

He spoke with the organizer of the Band of Gamers mini-con (Steve), and he is very excited (repeat very excited) to have the club there while he's running his events.  He is looking forward to grabbing some fresh blood for his minis group, and expects some good cross-over gamers.  I for one am excited to play in the Wild West game running all day.  Badges!  We don't need no stinking badges!

I would like to stress again that Steve and his group and the MonPoc tournament have priority though, since we are a last minute addition for the day's events.  We will have the main floor section to set-up tables for board games.  If you want to play any miniature games, then join in with the Band of Gamers (its free).

I feel bad for the Role-Players the most, as they will take the biggest hit.  My suggestion is to move your game to the 8pm slot, as there will be plenty of room for RPGs by then.

Please bring food and drinks as normal, and I would encourage everyone to thank the staff at Legions, as well as Steve from the Band of Gamers, and the MonPoc organizers for accommodating us on such short notice.

Chairs are also a urgent need, so bring what you can.  If everyone brings their own chair, we will be golden.

If there is a particular game you are interested in purchasing, contact Bill at Legions to place your order for Games Day.

Thanks,

VPCtek

• Regular
  • Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
Good thing a new location was in the works.  With a growing group, janitorial issues will be a continuing concern.  I'd hate to be the store employee that has to clean up after 60-70 people or whatever. 
Anyone who's going to be a slob and can't police themselves should do us all a favor and stay home. 

On that note, I'll probably miss Gamesday because of relatives visiting. 
Sounds like it could turn out to be a great day for the store though. 
Enjoy!

Classic BattleTech  *  MechWarrior Clix  *  Mage Knight  *  ManO'War  *  A&A Air Force Minis

Baron Von Harper

• Baron
  • Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »
I updated the RPG Campaigns thread, and put a link to this thread so that people know.

I also changed my signature to put a link to this thread to help people know that way as well.

Evernevermore

• Knight of Misfortune
  • Knight
  • Protector
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
I updated the RPG Campaigns thread, and put a link to this thread so that people know.

I also changed my signature to put a link to this thread to help people know that way as well.

Silly Tim - as if we read anything your write - its GASP forums, we just jump straight to conclusions since that saves time.  ::) :P

What needs done before next Saturday - my work schedule is fairly light so I can help out a good bit, if I know when (I still have atleast one day thats already been claimed but I dont know which yet)