Author Topic: MML and Theme Docs  (Read 13062 times)

RX Maverick

• Horrible Knight
  • Regular
  • Citizen
  • I'll play a land and Lotus Petal....
    • eM Profile
MML and Theme Docs
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
I'll be posting the MML and Theme documents here.  So far only one is done (and only mostly done), but I'll be adding more as I finish them.

M:TG Theme Guide - Updated 3/16/2007
MML Rarity List - Updated 3/13/2007
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:28:47 PM by RX Maverick »

Mark Ortego

• Regular
  • Protector
  • G.A.S.P. Member since June 2004
Re: MML and Theme Docs
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:33:05 AM »
The MML “Quick Start” rules for 2008 season

The Multiplayer Magic League (MML) is a casual, multiplayer Magic: The Gathering tournament held every Game Day.  There has to be at least three players to make the MML game “Official”.

MML “House Rules”

Deckbuilding
•Minimum 75 cards*, no maximum.
•No more than 4 of any card, except basic lands.
•Silver bordered cards, “ante” cards, Vanguard character cards, and proxies are banned.

Game Play
Seating: everyone stands up and rolls a d20 (roll-off ties).  The highest roller gets to pick his/her seat.  Then the next highest picks a seat.  Continue until all players are seated. Play begins with the highest roller and proceeds to his/her left.
•Everyone starts at 20 life.
•Play begins with the highest roller and proceeds to his/her left.
Chaos Magic: Players may attack anyone and target spells at anyone or anything (within legal bounds).  Players may even divide attacks against multiple opponents.  Global spells affect everyone.
Starting on Turn 7 (and every turn thereafter): players MAY OPTIONALLY draw an additional card during their draw step.
Thumbs up/Thumbs down: In the event of a rules dispute that cannot be resolved in a friendly manner, take a vote of the active players.  The majority rules.

Scoring
Kill Points: Players receive one point for each other player they eliminate from the game.
Placement Points: At the end of any player’s turn* Placement Points are awarded simultaneously to players (1 point) who’ve been eliminated from the game during that turn.
Victory Points: The last woman or man standing gets (2)* victory point.

*The Multiplayer Magic League will hold one game per month from January to October for a total of 10 games for the entire season. Donation Fees and Prizes will be announced at a later date. Exceptions will be made to all first time players to the MML & measures will be taken to accommodate their needs by other players to make their decks meet the current "House Rules".

* = Indicates a change from the 2007 season.

(reason for edit: To clarify who goes first)
(reason for 2nd. edit: To clarify "Exceptions" for new MML players)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:23:02 PM by KJ »
I am killerjoe1962 on Board Game Geek

azureknight

• Regular
  • Protector
  • once in a 'blue' moon...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
To clarify something in KJ's writeup, the "exemption" for 1st time players is in case someone wants to play but only brings a 60 card deck.  We want to welcome them into the game, so we exempt them the first time.  It it more of making an "exception" for them; it doesn't mean they are exempt from all of the rules.
I make this point because occasionally we get 1st time people who play tournaments, and don't want to let them bring in a deck of 60 proxies.
Not everything is black and white.

nire.everlast

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:50:16 AM »
with proxies, if i own and have with me 4 copies of a card with me, can i just put 4 proxies in the deck?  not a full deck but maybe 4 to 8 cards max? obviously the cards will be standard mtg cards magic markered to read what it is a proxy of?

Mark Ortego

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:09:32 AM »
Hi, I'm the chairperson for the 2008 MML:

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, however, my question is: why own cards you can't or don't want to play?  ???

RX Maverick

• Horrible Knight
  • Regular
  • Citizen
    • eM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
For the theme league I don't see why not, but you'd have to have one copy per proxy.  In my opinion it's not worth proxying, but in the past I have run sleeveless decks with dual lands and Shahrazad.  I stopped 'cus of the crazy looks I get, now I run sleeves.  Also, I have the same question as KJ

nire.everlast

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »
don't wanna use BOP, sol rings, or anything else that cost $$$$$$$, i keep all "investment" cards in thick cases. these are cards that will only get more expensive.  those floppy sleeves prevent nothing other than the value of your cards decreasing. i collect sports cards and have seen the outcome of not protecting your cards, and mtg cards are VERY delicate compared to sports cards.

Mark Ortego

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »
Man, you must beat-the-crap out of your cards... ;) ;D

You should get a "sloppy" sets of Birds and Rings. Honestly, the $500 cards and higher ought to be "proxied" but I don't know about ones less than that. The "9" are cards I thought you were talking about. Or "10" if you include The Library of Alexandria  :D

nire.everlast

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »
yes when i started i did beat up my cards, but as a life time collector of sports cards just putting a card in any kind of toploader damages its edges. i know thats nitpicking but the difference in the price of a card in gem 10 condition is many times that of one in 9 or even 9.5. maybe not now but as time passes every card that was ever in a toploader will never be a 10. even comman football cards from th 70's in gem 10 condition can fetch 100's $$$. just protecting the future, and have only played loose decks until now, no sleeves. Ive played with some shady people who printed there own cards and just slipped them into sleeves. yes it was tedious with all the proxies but it was a clean game.

Buat Atiras

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
Is it possible (legal?) to make copies of these rare expensive cards and use them in our game play?  Bring the original to show you have it and then play with the copies to protect the original?

Mark Ortego

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
They are called "proxies" and "NO" I wouldn't recommend making actual copies of the originals. If you had to make a "proxy" you simply get a basic land card and use a sharpie to put the name of the card on it. You would need to bring the original, too. However, if you had one copy of a rare (say Black Lotus) then you could only use ONE proxy of that card. The proxies must equal the number of actual real copies you own.

But look, a card priced over $500 is card worth making a proxy for, anything less than that you could use the real one just don't beat up your cards. The rules do state no proxies allowed, if we all just stuck to that rule everything will be okay. There are ton of low priced cards that you could dominate the game with, believe me, I've done it with common rarity cards at the MML.  ;)

nire.everlast

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 01:15:18 AM »
all this and i wont even be there this time, see you next month. by the way if i have a question concerning mtg, who should i ask?  dont wanna post a question here and give anything away :)

RX Maverick

• Horrible Knight
  • Regular
  • Citizen
    • eM Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
KJ and I are both level 1 judges so for rules questions you could ask either of us.  For MML questions ask KJ and Theme questions ask me.

Mark Ortego

• Regular
  • Protector
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »
Mooseman is also well versed in the rules and he's a Tournament Organizer for PES (Professional-Events Services) Magic events in the Pittsburgh area.

azureknight

• Regular
  • Protector
  • once in a 'blue' moon...
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
Could we start the theme games earlier?  It seems that no new players show up for the theme game; it is just some of the MML players.  Since RX plans to be there for the whole day each month now, why don't we move the game up to 3pm?  Some people seem to leave during the break in between the 2 games.  Also, if we start it at 3pm, then it will be done by 4:30 or 5pm and people can fit it in before a 4:30RPG or the 5pm Formula De. That may increase attendance.  If RX can't arrive until 4:15 for work, then he can post that the start will be delayed until 4:30.  The April theme game didn't occur because too many people have other game commitments.  If the MML game runs past 3pm, we can just delay the theme game start since it is the same players.
Not everything is black and white.