Author Topic: GASP F.A.Q.  (Read 26570 times)

Yoodle

• Jim Robertson - GASP Scribe
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
  • Gimme somethin' to write on!
GASP F.A.Q.
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:19:57 PM »
If there is anything you wanted to know about GASP, check out the Frequently Asked Questions below and hopefully you will find the answers there.  If you don't, feel free to reply to this post and we will add your question with an answer to this first post.  Reijin inspired this, so I will start by answering all of his questions as well as a few other basic ones:

What is GASP?
The Gaming Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania.  We are a non-profit group of volunteers that formed in order to promote gaming in all its forms.  We began in 1999 and have been growing steadily ever since.

When/Where do you meet?
Games Days are held at:

Baldwin Community United Methodist Church
5001 Baptist Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15236

GASP's main focus is our monthly Game Days that occurs on the 2nd Saturday of every month from 10am until 11pm.  We also run our yearly GASPcon convention (currently on hiatus until we find a new location to host us though), several regular campaigns, and semi-regular events at locations around the city (see the "Non-GASP" Gaming Events in the forum for more information on these).

How much does it cost to become a member?
Nothing!  Membership in GASP is completely free.  There is a small fee to attend our monthly Games Days, a paltry $5 per person.  This gives you complete access to everything Games Days has to offer, including great people to play a variety of games with.  This fee is waived for first-time attendees.
We do charge for GASPcon (our yearly convention) however, and we also offer our voluntary Knighthood program that provides some additional benefits, but is really for the purpose of supporting the convention.

How do I become a member?
Basically, just show up at a Games Day and fill out the new member form. This will get you on our mailing list for the monthly newsletter and any important news that we need to send out.  Alternatively, you could fill out the New Member Form from the web site and you will still get on the mailing list.  It is also recommended that you create a userID for this forum to participate in the discussions.  That's all there is to it.  Be aware also that we will NOT share your personal information with anyone else.  I wouldn't want anyone doing it to me, so I won't do it to you.

Should I introduce myself to everyone?
Sure!  Go to the introduction topic on the forum and let us know a little bit about you.  That way we will know a little bit about you when we meet in person too.

What should I expect walking into Games Day?
When you enter Games Day, there will be a table with an attendance list and some new member forms.  Just put your name down on the attendance list, and, if you're new, fill out the new member form.  From there, I recommend you walk around and look confused and lost for a bit.  Our Knights and Royal Court members try to look for this so that we can welcome new members and help you get acquainted with everything.  Any of us would be happy to answer any questions.  If it’s your first time attending a Games Day, we will waive the $5 fee.  Otherwise someone will be around to collect the fee from you.  Just sit down and play a game and we’ll find you.

What is the Royal Court?
The Royal Court (a.k.a. the "RC") is a small group of individuals that have volunteered their time to run the club.  They are responsible for organizing all events related to the club.  On these forums, all Royal Court members will be marked as such under their avatars (their little picture on the left hand side of their posts).  For a list of all the current Royal Court members on the forum, you can search the members list.  Enter "Royal Court" in the "Search For:" box, and uncheck all but the "Search by position" box.  This will bring up a list of all the current Royal Court members.  I would just list them all here, but it does change, and I know I would forget to come back here and update this ::)

What is a Baron?
A Baron is a knight that has been with the club for a very long time, and that has shown a dedication to a particular genre of gaming above and beyond all expectations.  The title can only be granted by the Royal Court.  The Barons assist the Royal Court by promoting their genre of gaming whenever possible.  You can also search for "Barons" on the forums using the forum's search function as detailed under "What is the Royal Court?" above.

What is a Knight?
By making a small donation to the club, you can be awarded the title of Knight.  Knighthood comes with some benefits, but its main purpose is to support the club, and our yearly convention.  Click here to learn more about the Knighthood Program and its current benefits.   A list of current knights is available at http://www.gaspgamer.com/whatIs/members.html.  There's even a chance that it might be up to date.  At Game Days the Knights will be wearing the brown name tags like you see at the bottom of this post.

Are the people who attend mostly war gamers or are there a good mix of RPG gamers as well?
There is a very good mix of all types of games at Games Day.  We have been averaging more than 65 players per month.  This usually includes RPG's throughout the day, dozens of board games, and numerous miniature games.  If you want to play it, chances are you will find someone at Games Day to play it with.  To see what games were played last month, check out our latest Geek List.  To see a list of the most popular games, and a list of all the games that have made an appearance at past game days, go to our Games List.

Does it make a difference if I use the sign up form on the site, or is there a sign up form at the meet up place?
There is a new member sign up form available at Games Days, but it is pretty much the same as filling out the online New Member Form.  Filling out either of these will achieve the same result, which is to get you on our mailing list.

What should I bring to game days?  (Food, books, games, et cetera)
If there are any games you would like to play, bring them along.  We also ask everyone to bring a bag of chips, a two liter/12 pack of pop, or some other snack to share with everyone.  You're also welcome to bring your own dinner along, or go out to one of the local restaurants.  We do place a group order for pizza every month for $5 per person.  This is completely voluntary though.

Is there some sort of schedule for games being played?
For the most part, no.  The exception:
•   Role-Playing games run during loose time slots.  Check the RPG board for monthly updates on time slots.

If so, do I need to sign myself or my group up for these?
Most games are pickup games.  The scheduled games listed above usually have sign-ups, but generally they will accept new players as long as there is room.  The best bet is to read the forums and look for any sign-up requests there.

What age ranges can participate in Games Day?
We have no specific age requirements, but for the most part we are a slightly older crowd.  Most are between 20-40, although we do have several regulars ranging in age from 8 to the late teens.  This does not mean that children are not welcome.  In fact, I would encourage parents to bring their children with them and get them involved in gaming.  Parents have to judge for themselves whether their children are ready for the more mature games or not.  We do require that any kids under 16 MUST have a parent or guardian present while the kids are there.  The kids should also be actively participating in gaming.  Children running about screaming is not a good environment to game in.  Please note the $5 per person fee applies for all attendees playing games, regardless of age.

Would I be able to join games I've never played before without scrutiny? (I wouldn't expect, but hey, you never know)
Of course!  Our members are always willing to introduce a newbie to a game.  I honestly don't think I've ever seen an exception to this.

Should I arrive before 10am to get a run down of how things work?
The rental hall opens at 9:30am for some slight set-up activities, so you can arrive a bit earlier than 10am if you wish, but expect to lend a hand setting up.

Can I request that people bring games that I don't own, but would like to play?
If looking for specific games to play, games are available for request through the boardgame section of the forum.  If one of our members has the game being requested, we will do our best to bring it on games day.  Just remember to treat the game as if it belonged to you and don't disrespect other people’s property.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:29:16 AM by Yoodle »
Favorite Games:
* Board: Dominion, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride
* RPG: D&D v5.0
* War: Dawn Patrol

KnightoftheDead

• Curt Collins
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
  • Royal Constable
Re: GASP F.A.Q.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:42:24 PM »
If looking for specific games to play, games are available for request through the boardgame section of the forum.  If one of our members have the game being requested, we will do our best to bring it on games day.  Just remember to treat the game as if it belonged to you and don't disrespect other peoples property.   
Top Boardgames
Everdell
Thunder Alley
Inca Empire
Concordia

Baron Von Harper

• Baron
  • Protector
  • "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
    • My YouTube RPG Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
This needs updated with the current address.   ;)

Yoodle

• Royal Court
  • Protector
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
This needs updated with the current address.   ;)

We don't have a current address, only a temporary one :)
I've updated the FAQ with that address anywya.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:17:38 AM by Yoodle »
Favorite Games:

The Man in Black

• Knight of Disguise - Mark K.
  • Regular
  • Protector
  • Lo que no me mata, me marca más fuerte
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
Not in Springdale anymore. Oops!

If planning to play Pathfinder PFS GAMES you can sign up on Warhorn Site.

Question : I used to have a black background of forum,  can I get that back
"The Man in Black pushed his hood away with the backs of both hands, laughing."
"So! Not an end, but the end of the beginning, eh?"

Yoodle

• Royal Court
  • Protector
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
Not in Springdale anymore. Oops!

Doh!  Thanks, Mark, I've updated the location (and a few other things).

Question : I used to have a black background of forum,  can I get that back

You have to change the theme for your profile.  It's rather convoluted, but I had to go to Profile > Account Settings, and then hover over "Modify Profile" and select "Look and Layout".  At the top of that page, it displays your "Current Theme", and there is a link there to change it.  This is the URL that is displayed for me when I go to it... maybe it will take you directly to it?  http://eonsreach.com/gaspforum/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick;u=8;bd3202d=705e8b1b8ac63c555a17ea6747e7cde3

The dark theme is Helios_Multi.  I believe I tried that, and some things didn't display correctly, so I ended up going back to the default.  Just so you're aware if things start looking goofy.
Favorite Games:

Chuck the Castle Merchant

• Charles Phillips, Curmudgeon Apprentice
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • Sir Chuck!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »
Just so you're aware if things start looking goofy.

...things start looking goofy!  ;D
My life project:  http://gestaltgenesis-daymillion.net/

My mother said to only say nice things about the dead.  He is dead.  That's nice.

“Posting on GASP Forums is something like talking with an echo.  You don’t get any argument, but you don’t get any results either.” – Robert Heinlein.