Author Topic: Update on Games Days 2022  (Read 775 times)

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
Update on Games Days 2022
« on: December 14, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
I'm sending out a mass e-mail to our GASP mailing list, and wanted to post the content of the e-mail here as well.  We are limited to only sending to 150 e-mail address per hour (or be flagged as SPAM by our hosting service), so you should receive the e-mail by the end of the day.  If you don't receive it, IM here and I will add you to the list.

Hello fellow gamers,

It's been a while since my last mass e-mail.  It's been a crazy year+ of non Games Days, then back, then cancelled, then back, etc., until we finally had our restart this past summer.  I for one was glad to get back to in-person gaming, along with many others.

The reason for my e-mail today is we need to talk about Games Days for 2022 and onward.  The main issue we have since restarting this year is lower attendance.  This was expected, so we were not completely surprised.  The issue though is with lower attendance comes lower money collection and the inability to fully cover our hall rental fee each month.  In the short-term this was manageable, but looking forward GASP cannot continue this way.  We've always tried to keep our attendance fees low, but for 2022 we are forced to make some changes.

First off, in order to even continue to host Games Days, we'll need a minimum level of commitment in the form of yearly payments.  Our yearly rental fee is $3000, and we charged $65 for the yearly payment the last few years.  We had 25 people pay for a yearly membership, for ~ $1600.  The other $1400 we made up in pay as you go collections.  Unfortunately we can no longer count on the pay as you go model, since we don't know if that will cover our fee each month.  That means we both need to raise the yearly fee, and set a minimum for the number of people that we need to sign-up for the yearly membership to continue to host Games Days.

The minimum is going to be 20 people at $120 each ($10 per Games Day instead of $5).  That will put as at $2400 for the year.  That leave $600 to cover over the course of the year, or $50 per Games Day.  To make up that amount, we are also raising the pay as you go cost to $15 per person.  If we get more yearly payment confirmations above 20, we will lower the yearly cost, to a minimum of $75 for 32+ people ($6.25 per games day).  The pay as you go will stay at $15 for the year unless we get to 32+ people on yearly payments, then we'll drop it to $10.  If at the end of the 2022 we have a surplus, we will take that into account for the 2023 fee structure.

Please note, to continue to promote new membership, we will still honor anyone's first Games Day for free.  After that, they can choose to either pay as you go, or get a pro-rated yearly membership, at whatever level was finalized at the beginning of the year.

I'm going to set-up a Sign-Up Genius for us to track who is committing for the yearly payment in 2022.  Sign-ups and payment will be continue through the January 8th Games Day we will collect in Dec and Jan.  If we do not get the minimum 20 people signed-up by the end of January, then we may be forced to cancel Games Day for the remainder of 2022 after January.  Anyone that paid will get a refund (minus the January Games Day fee).

I hope you understand that GASP isn't a business, we're just people that love games trying to keep these monthly organized events going.  The club doesn't generate any other income, and I cannot take on the financial responsibility of each Games Day.

Here's the Sign Up Genius link.
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B49ADA928A5F58-gasp

SUMMARY:  We need at least 20 people to commit to yearly payments, starting at $120.  That price will drop as more people commit.  I would prefer to collect payments in January when the number is more accurate, but if you do pay early and it drops you will get a refund of the difference.  Pay as you go will be $15/month, with a chance to drop to $10/month.

OPTION: Instead of cancelling 2022 all together, we are also looking at renting the smaller room.  This only fits about 20 people so if we are forced to do that, then Games Day will be only open to members that pay for the year, and will have a capped limit on membership.  I'll start gathering details around that option as we move into the new year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:36:15 AM by Da King »
---------------------------------------------
GASP King and All-Around Cool Guy

Chuck the Castle Merchant

• Charles Phillips, Curmudgeon Apprentice
  • Knight
  • Protector
  • Sir Chuck!
Re: Update on Games Days 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 07:37:05 AM »
All I can say is Hold the Hall!  8)

We are not going to lose our hall space for lack of funds. 
My life project:  http://gestaltgenesis-daymillion.net/

My mother said to only say nice things about the dead.  He is dead.  That's nice.

“Posting on GASP Forums is something like talking with an echo.  You don’t get any argument, but you don’t get any results either.” – Robert Heinlein.

Da King

• GASP King
  • Royal Court
  • Protector
    • GASP
Re: Update on Games Days 2022
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
Great news, we have our 20 yearly members, so Games Days will continue at the current location throughout 2022.  The only "bad" news is since we just hit 20 members, the yearly payment will be $120 ($10/Games Day), while the pay-as-you-go will be $15/Games Day.  I know for some of you this becomes a barrier to attending, as it is a big price hike from our previous $5/Games Day.  I hope you understand the reason behind the price hike, and continue to support the club.  If we end up with a surplus of funds going into 2023, then we will use that to offset the costs for everyone next year.  Games Day is still a great value at that price.  12 hours of gaming with friends, trying out new games you may not own, and meeting new people.

As a reminder, here are the current 2022 dates.  Note that we do not have dates confirmed yet for Sept-Dec, but that is just because the church runs on a Sept-Aug calendar.  This is problematic since we take yearly payments for a Jan-Dec time frame. I reached out to the church again, explained this again, and am waiting a reply. This doesn't mean we won't have dates for the end of 2022, it just means they may not confirm those dates until mid 2022.

2022 (confirmed up through August)
  • Jan 8, 2022
  • Feb 19, 2022 (note - third Saturday)
  • Mar 12, 2022
  • Apr 9, 2022
  • May 14, 2022
  • June 11, 2022
  • July 9, 2022
  • Aug 13, 2022
  • Sept-TBD (most likely the 10th)
  • Oct-TBD (most likely the 8th)
  • Nov-TBD (most likely the 12th)
  • Dec-TBD (most likely the 17th, third Saturday)

Events are created, and will be shared soon.  If you like our Facebook GASP page, you will see the events.

Thanks!
GASP King and All-Around Cool Guy